Oiler Troubleshooting - Echo CS400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin' Rod

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Felling trees at the farm today, when the chain suddenly became very "grabby". Saw is a new Echo CS400 that has about ten hours of flawless use to this point. (Saw had a new chain at the start of the day, hand filed after second tank of gas.)

I had filled gas tank and bar oil tank about 10 minutes before problem. Troubleshooting after problem: Checked tension - good. Re-checked bar oil - good. Removed sprocket guard and found a small amount of oily sawdust residue - normal. (Cleaned out debris.) Examined the chain for broken teeth, did not observe any.

Went back in the cut and was still "grabby". So bad, that chain felt dry to me. Tried chain lubrication test - no oil at half throttle or full throttle.

I removed the sprocket guard again, but could not see any problems.

Can any of the experts give me some advice? I think the oiler is the problem, but it could be something else.

(Chainsaw experience level is around "seasoned homeowner". I am moderately mechanical, but have never disassembled a chainsaw.)

I will get into the saw tomorrow on the work bench. Plan is to check the oil adjustment screw to see if it is still functioning normally. If I remove the inner guide plate will I be able to see the oiler ports?

Anything else I should work on while the saw is on the bench? Anything I definitely should not work on because a newbie could screw it up?

Finally, there is a small black hose that is hanging free (at one end) in the little gap between the rear handle and the body of the saw. I observed this when I was examining the saw in the field. (I believe it is a vent assembly.) I don't know if this is a "broken" part that should be attached at both ends, or if I had never observed it before.

Thanks,
Rod

I have the same saw for about 5 years and never had any problems, take bar mount off and bar/chain assembly. Remove the inner plate and start saw and let it idle and see if you have good oil flow. If not, may be the hose in the tank to pump or pump the bar mount is off or broken. Also inspect the filter in tank for being clogged. The hose is the vent hose, haven't never looked to see how mine is routed.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I use the Echo premium bar oil, so I did not think there was any chance I could be clogged on such a new saw. I will hook the line and make sure the filter and line still look to be in good shape.

If I disassemble the sprocket guard and remove the inner plate, is it still safe to run the saw at idle? Is it OK to give it some throttle at that stage? (I thought the Echo oil pump required some engine RPM.) Is there a safety issue with the clutch assembly flying off with the guard removed?

Your next step to pull the pump and inspect the drive gear is beyond my current level of knowledge. I would probably have to follow a thread where someone describes the process. If I can't do it without some extra help, is that a sign I should take it to the dealer, or the best way to learn is by taking it apart?

RF Down,

I had just cut a big mulberry - which gives the biggest chips by far of any of the trees that I cut. I then switched to an osage orange (hedge apple) - which is the hardest wood of any of the trees that I cut.

I was just positive I was going to find the inside of the sprocket guard packed off so no oil could get to the chain. Instead, that space was relatively clean.

I then re-set the chain tension. The bar groove looked clean, and the chain fed smoothly by hand. (I will double-check the bar groove tomorrow.)

I have only felled around 80 trees, so I don't have a "feel" for the wood like the experts on the forum. However, my hands were telling me that the saw was not cutting correctly. It was not instantaneous, but it certainly got worse over the course of just a few minutes. My ears did not detect any problems, so I think the saw engine was still running properly.

The saw wont fall apart on you if you follow his steps, in general running a saw with the bar off at a low rpm will not hurt the saw for a few minutes. he is getting you to where you can see some moisture. you might wipe it off and then watch. i have been where you are just take your time and look at it, walk away and come back to it and look some more and tackle it. this will help some

Bedford,

Thanks for the linked video. I am proficient at "maintenance" level disassembly on my chainsaws. I am a newbie on getting farther into the saw to actually repair broken parts. I will search their site and see if they have videos of more in depth repairs.

There is also an Echo screw by screw disassembly video on YouTube that may help. Just find the section you need.

Back