OK, aother quetion...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped wearing long johns years ago, much prefer flannel lined jeans and I don't put them on till I have to about 30 degrees and colder, and I spend most of my time about 200' in the air over the east river and sometimes higher or on top of a skyscraper.

Never wear them....makes me to bulky to do any work....Most times I wear jeans....carhart jacket and sorels.....sometimes I wear wool socks....if it is like 30 below or something like that...

Long johns no..flannel lined jean no...Bib overalls hell yes. I wear bibs all winter long from Oct to about april. My wife was a little apprehensive about me wearing bibs all winter long until she saw the fact I wasnt ruining my jeans all the time. $30 for a pair of bibs is cheaper than a $50 pair of jeans....By spring they look like hell but they hold up quite well.

somewhat related...anybody have the firehose work pants from duluth trading?

Jeff

Fleece or flannel lined brier pants, no more stiff and heavy insulated bibs for me..I'll throw long johns under 'em during the deepest darkest depths of winter if I'll be out all day. 'Course wood cuttin' or huntin' small game is about the only thing I do out side other than the routine chores. You guys who make your livin', workin' out of doors,,,I'd say you know a lot more than I do about it, and if I found myself workin' with you guys all of a sudden,,I'd try to out fit my gear following your advise. I'm never too far from the house or my old beat rig truck, on that very rare occasion I get COLD, it's probably due to sweatin',,(yes the ARMY taught me better than that) but I can always cry like a lil' girl, load my toys and go home..now,,what I did I do with those damm carharts:buttkick: Oh yeah,,I gave 'em to the kid down the street, he needed 'em more than I do.

Long johns under jeans when it gets cold and I'm working outside (i.e. all weekend), Not yet.

Got a couple pair, but I only wear them on days when I'm logging and it's really, really cold. Otherwise, they just make me sweat my crack off. :msp_mad:

Sweat pants

Sweat pants instead of long johns. Fit looser, warmer, easier for me to wear and work in. Pants are army pants, I like lotsa pockets with flaps. Everything loose so I can bend and work.

Longjohns are for southerners who can't get enough clothes on when it gets cold enough to make ice.

Below zero, or working in deep snow, Carharrt insulated bibs over jeans, above that, jeans and a good pair of boots. If the toes are warm, so's the rest of the body.

I have a pair of insulated jeans, but don't like em because if they're too much when it warms up or ya get working hard, unlike the bibs, it just ain't socailly acceptable to take em off.

Gonna have to get a new set of bibs soon, I was 10 years younger and 30 lbs lighter when I bought these. Sadly, Carharrts ain't as good as they once was, either.

My biggest problem is keeping the fingers warm, cut one hand pretty bad years ago and it doesn't have good circulation. Those little heater pads come in handy for that.

Jeff, those fire hose pants are on my radar screen as well, but I ain't tried em yet.

Related question: when do ya ditch the freebie baseball cap for something heavier? Here, the stocking cap comes out when it's somewhere below 30, how far below depends on wind, etc. For an average, I'll say 15°

Long johns have been on for prolly 1 1/2 months. I wear layers and as the weather gets colder I bring more layers to work. Right now it's tee shirt and jeans over the LJs and a medium weight coat for temp regulation at work. I'm constantly in and out of the shop, laying in snow or on cold pavement, in and out of the truck where the heat is. Oh, and I've switched to the winter hat just to let everyone else know the seasons have changed.

Has to be below 0 for any lined pants or long underwear for me. If I am working steady say at cutting or splitting firewood I don't normally need anything other than regular work pants. If I am puttering in the shop or working on equipment/fixing stuff I put on the warmer layers. Can't wear that stuff all the time, as Ductape mentioned sweating the butt off becomes an issue.

The Poly Pro that the Army uses in cold weather is great stuff. I try to stay away from anything cotton.

Has to be below 0 for any lined pants or long underwear for me. If I am working steady say at cutting or splitting firewood I don't normally need anything other than regular work pants. If I am puttering in the shop or working on equipment/fixing stuff I put on the warmer layers. Can't wear that stuff all the time, as Ductape mentioned sweating the butt off becomes an issue.

The Poly Pro that the Army uses in cold weather is great stuff. I try to stay away from anything cotton.

Your right about the cotton,once it gets wet it gets cold.It has no insulation value when wet.Good old fashioned wool is best,but most do not like the itch.A good Merino blend eliminates the itch and insulates when wet.Wool also dries a lot faster then cotton.When I am going to be active outside I usually wear a good synthetic type.When I am going to be standing as in still hunting or ice fishing the woolies come out.
Most of you guys are young and have not experienced the side effects of blood thinners.I can not believe how easy it is to get cold since I have been on blood thinners.I use to just wear bibs over my pants.Now on colder days its all three.
The question about Duluth pants,they are heavy and in my opinion way overpriced.I also have a shirt with fleece lining from them It is nice and warm but bulky.I treat it more like a jacket.The best thing I have ever gotten from them was a fleece lined vest.I really like how it goes way down my back,preventing any cold air from getting between my trousers and shirt.I have not bought anything from them for a while,their stuff is almost all imported and they have raised their prices out of my range.

Long johns no..flannel lined jean no...Bib overalls hell yes. I wear bibs all winter long from Oct to about april. My wife was a little apprehensive about me wearing bibs all winter long until she saw the fact I wasnt ruining my jeans all the time. $30 for a pair of bibs is cheaper than a $50 pair of jeans....By spring they look like hell but they hold up quite well.

somewhat related...anybody have the firehose work pants from duluth trading?

Jeff

My wife likes when I wear bibs, alot less crack when I am bending over.

My wife likes when I wear bibs, alot less crack when I am bending over.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: That got my orange juice out my nose.. I'm sure that's why my wife likes me wearing bibs also..:laugh:

Some where around -10f is where i start to put on a extra layer for my upper body. I use insulated bib carharts but its needs to be -20f for that. Apparently i'm getting used to the temps up here (never did want to experience -55f but i did further up north). I use Helly Hanses clothing for my extra layer. I prefer all wool but its to bulky so its clothing like this HH WARM ICE CREW - Helly Hansen Official Online Store that i use..

I would be more concerned with "the monthly bath" LOL :eek2:
You do know that when your pores are open and clean you will be warmer don't you?
I rarely wear traditional long johns any more, I have under armor that is much thinner/comfortable and warmer.
I have bibs similar to Carharts that I wear when I have to work out in the cold all day. For snowmobiling I wear bibs made for snowmobiling.
Take a BATH at least daily would ya? :laugh::D
Happy Thanksgiving all :hmm3grin2orange:

We have a damp cold here. Winter depends on at what elevation you are. At the lower elevations, we get drizzle and rain for 9 months. (Don't move here!) We don't wear cotton longjohns or flannel lined jeans. The latter would get so heavy, we'd not be able to move. I could see this scenario, "Please wait. I have to take off my flannel lined jeans in order to get over that log." :msp_smile:

We do wear jeans. I have the polypro underneath, and rainpants over that, except when I'm wearing my tin pants. Tin pants are excellent, but you do need to wear a thin layer underneath--polypro preferred, because the seams and fabric are rough. The tin pants will stand up in a corner, and get a "seasoned" look to them as time goes on. Suspenders are a must with them, and I do not feel ashamed to not have the top snap always fastened, as I notice a lot of other folks don't always have it fastened. :msp_smile: The rest are buttons. Tin pants are a Filson product and are canvas like with wax or oil worked in. Sometimes we can't find the wax so bootgrease is used. Don't sit on upholstery that you care about with tin pants on!

I have poly fleece longjohns for when things really cool off, and lots of polypro tops of various weights. I'm a leetle bit alergic to wool. Wool is also a popular choice around here.

Synthetics are a good thing, unless you are sitting by a sparky fire.

Flannel lined jeans are a staple these last couple of years and when it's open tractor time for snow clearing the quilted coveralls get added on.

The mock turtle-neck thingies, made by D.i.c.k.i.e.s. brand are great in the early part of the day when its colder and easy to pull off once the body gets warmed up. They do a good job of preventing wind from getting down the neck/back.

Growing a winter beard helps a bunch as well.

Never cared much for long johns, don't like tight clothing. Usually go with the insulated carhartts or wool bibs or pants. Like the Filson products but they are getting spendy and some of them are imported.

Back