Ok cutting frozen wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There has been some discussion on whether it has any affect on your chain staying sharp or not. My experience has been that cutting frozen wood is hard on the chain and requires sharpening a lot more often. I did a search and found a few things about it. Many said that you should use a full chisel chain for frozen wood, but if it is dirty wood a semi chisel will hold a sharp edge longer.
Here are some of the other comments on it.

"Are there any changes that should be made to a standard sharpening process for cutting frozen hardwood? "

"On average you bet. first you will cut your rackers more for frozen but it depends on what type of wood and how much water is in the tree when frozen the more water frozen the harder it will cut."

"You may want to look into a carbide chain for this application "

"The "rules" from years gone by. File top plates to 25-30 degrees instead of 30-35 degrees. Set depth gauges to .020 instead of .025 or .030"

"I think the species of tree has alot to do with the amount of difference in how it cuts below freezing. When I cut beach, it cuts about the same as in the summer, but red oak causes alot of chain vibration when frozen. So I would guess it has to do with the natural water content of the species. Beach has a very low water content, and red oak is high. I think you would find kiln dried wood would cut the same no matter what the temp."

"Reducing your topplate angle to 20°-25° will give more support to the working corner and help your chain stay sharp longer when cutting frozen wood. It doesn`t make your saw cut any faster, just the opposite, but you can cut efficiently longer. You also want to be careful that you don`t have too much sideplate angle for the same reason."

"A long time ago some sawyers used to have a "winter chain" set-up...basically just careful not to drop the rakers more than .020-.025. Frozen soft woods cut as hard as harder woods, and you really notice grabbiness (spelling?) in the winter.

As a firewood processor, you possibly have already noticed how deadfall cut different...them dry oak, ash, or hickory poles cut harder."

"I have been cutting alot of frozen hardwoods and noticed that my chain is dulling very quickly. I am using oregon DG because it is supposed to run sharper longer in dirty or frozen woods. Can anyone provide me with some help on this. Would I be better off running an LG? What are you suggestions."

"I use to run semi chisel during the winter, but now I only use full chisel. The full chisel is faster and I dont notice much of a change in stay sharp time with it. Thats with clean wood though. Cutting tops, firewood on dirty ground and I still use stihl or carlton semi chisel. "

"What happens is the operator does this so that they dont have to bend over as far. As a result they generaly get into the bad habit of using the tip to much, especially when bucking smaller wood.
Since granite is granite, and wood is wood, it is of no use to use anything other than full chisel. Abrasive material is not more gentle on chipper than it is on chisel, I think, so "stay sharpability" is a non word. I dont think a chain of any type allows the operator to cut rock with abandon.
I find it is very sacreligious to push dull chain of any type. Filing every tank, very gently, will ensure that you will become a proficient filer, along with a productive day. We all contact abrasive material when we cut, but it is what we do about it and how we avoid it that counts. Keeping rakers above 25 thou will reduce the damage to chain that has touched frozen mud or rock.
Although LG is softer and easier to file than RS, I am content to use either one. Sorry about the rant, but full house chisel is the only way to go for me."

"I hate to disagree with you on this issue John, and I don`t entirely, but the different working corner profile of semichisel does hold up better to less than ideal conditions. I don`t profess to know all the mechanics involved but I believe a large measure of the decreased loss of efficiency in dirty conditions has alot to do with the increased area of the working corner of semichisel. On your chisel chain you have a very small area doing most of the work so all the force is concentrated there. The dispersal of work over a larger area is also what causes the semi to cut a bit slower. Of course no chain is going to cut well after diving in the dirt or anything else that isn`t wood. I agree wholeheartedly that that careful attention to what you are cutting and frequent minor sharpening is the key to efficiency. BTW, I also suggest chisel chain in the winter unless you are blocking logs that were skidded through wet spots."

"I see what your saying about chipper taking more of a beating, but I still think chipper chain should be reserved for those that cant or wont file, or simply those that delude themselves into thinking that it is somehow better. How's that for a run on sentence?
Chipper chain is also fine for low performance saws and unprofessional woods workers. If we are forced to cut dirty wood, all the chipper chain in the world wont make for a productive day.
Buying a 1000$ modified professional saw and slapping on a chipper chain so we can go and cut a cord of dirt and rock impregnated Bulgarian Bugwood seems to goes against the grain, however, it might work on an 031, 041G, 090G etc.
Using chipper chain simply cannot circumvent the responsibility of the operator to not only file correctly and often, but also to do everything possible to avoid abrasive material. There is just no easy way around technique."

Ok so can anyone make heads or tails of that?

I cut frozen wood all winter and would say no noticeable difference. I also have cut many many holes in ice for fishing using a chainsaw, it stays sharp for a long long time when just cutting ice.

I will say one thing, back a few years ago I was cutting all my frozen wood in winter with a Husky 350 and I went through 2 chains cutting a 10 cord logger load, last year I bought a 372xp and I know it will cut 3 times longer without needing to be sharpened. since I got the 372xp I haven't had to cut any frozen wood, that 372xp ripped through it so fast I was done before the wood was frozen, and only went though about 50% of the original chain. I'm sure the saw has a lot to do with it, I think the 372xp came with a full chisel also.

Last edited:
Coldfront,

I guess I am hell on chains from what I gather here, but clean frozen wood seems to beat up the full chisel chains about the same as summer cut from what I can tell.

But I will admit that it is rare that I cut clean frozen wood, or thawed clean wood. LOL!!!!

Sap down and frozen with sand and grit in the bark, or skidded with sand and grit in the ice, over the sand and grit in the bark is the norm here.

Semi-Chisel Stihl RM or Carlton/ Bailys is the go to stuff year round here.

You getting your logs off the truck like that,are gonna have a variety of clean and skidded stuff grown in a variety of areas.

Stuff grown in areas with a high silica content, or grown in dusty areas are gonna affect how long a chain will last.

Have fun with that 372!!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

There has been some discussion on whether it has any affect on your chain staying sharp or not. My experience has been that cutting frozen wood is hard on the chain and requires sharpening a lot more often. I did a search and found a few things about it. Many said that you should use a full chisel chain for frozen wood, but if it is dirty wood a semi chisel will hold a sharp edge longer.
Here are some of the other comments on it.

"I find it is very sacreligious to push dull chain of any type. Filing every tank, very gently, will ensure that you will become a proficient filer, along with a productive day. We all contact abrasive material when we cut, but it is what we do about it and how we avoid it that counts. Keeping rakers above 25 thou will reduce the damage to chain that has touched frozen mud or rock."

Ok so can anyone make heads or tails of that?

I think this one is closest to summing it up. I was a keep 5 chains for each saw on hand kind of guy before finding this site. I'd have someone sharpen them for me, and looking for sharpening advice first brought me here. I would cut till it wouldn't cut any more, then swap chains. A quick filing every fillup is a heck of a lot cheaper, and more efficient, as you're not spending nearly as much time on each cut. I also bought my own grinder for those times when the chain gets really trashed, and also sharpen a few chains for friends. Both great advice found right on these here pages.

That's kind of off your topic, but whether or not frozen is harder to cut, the advice still works. The reason mainly that I like to cut in winter is that logs skidded across frozen or snow covered ground don't pick up nearly the dirt they would on my sand (much like dinger's - the bottom couple feet are sand-impregnated no matter if you cut it at the stump or skid it).

I've got a couple green oak logs out back, about 12". I could run a test, cut a couple blocks now and time them, then finish in January with the same chain. If it's harder cutting frozen, it should take longer to cut, right? Of course, saws seem to run better in winter, and other variables as well, so the results probably would be moot. Whaddya think guys?

Nice stuff guys......now what oil should be used on frozen wood ? :) :spam::cry:

NOT "Do It Best" brand winter grade...#### stuff won't flow below 30°! (I think Dinger and some others here will back me on that.) I was using Stihl winter grade, really good flow, but way too many $$. I just got 5 gallons bulk from my Dolmar dealer, 6 bucks a gallon, and supposed to be good to -20°. If it ain't, it's going back!

Last edited:
Nice stuff guys......now what oil should be used on frozen wood ? :) :spam::cry:

See steve's post.

ANYTHING but Do-It brand winter weight.:bang::bang::bang::bang:

80-90 gear Lube flows better than that ####!

Don't make me call Gary in here!!!:jester:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

as a logger i love cutting frozen wood. the limbs are brittle and will break when the tree hits the ground = less work for me. the best part about wood cut in winter is that its skidded on snow rather than through the mud. barring hitting a rock hidden in the snow i would say that i sharpen a chain once a day if that cutting in winter. and when i do file its just a one or two stroke touch up. not 4 or 5 to get back past the chrome thats been peeled back. the wood is clean and says clean.

last winter i was in a stand of pure white pine cutting with a 372 with and 8 pin on 20in bar. couldnt slow it down.

Trees go dormant so I doubt wood freezes...only water freezes right?...and stuff like orange juice and other grocery type things...I dunno?

I've been cutting dead wood in the winter like forever and have never noticed a problem with the cutting part of it.

Proper oiling can be an issue...but there's workarounds for that.

Way back a long time ago I could only traverse an cut on our swamp when it was frozen solid. On many occasions I have to cut into the frozen ice to clear protruding trees and I found cutting into frozen ice and trees to be no big deal.

Then again I'm not making production like Canadian loggers are either so I would hope to here from them.

While it gets real cold in CNY I don't think it is as prolonged as WI or Minnesota and for sure not Canada.

Last edited:
See steve's post.
ANYTHING but Do-It brand winter weight.:bang::bang::bang::bang:
80-90 gear Lube flows better than that ####!
Don't make me call Gary in here!!!:jester:
Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sorry boys and girls, it is/was a funny about "which oil". Please note the smilies. Kind of like: Husky or Stihl. Which chain. Ford or Toyota.
Frozen or unfrozen.:givebeer:

I swear to be clearer for the serious. Swear.
Some have got to lighten up. Calling Gary. :confused:

Trees go dormant so I doubt wood freezes...only water freezes right?...and stuff like orange juice and other grocery type things...I dunno?

QUOTE]

While the sap goes down into the roots, there is a lot of water bound in the cells of the wood. Some species much more than others. I've found ash to have the least, hence the saying "you can burn it green"

I guess a lot depends on what you are cutting, when I get a logger load delivered of Red Oak mostly it is fresh cut green wood and has a lot of moisture in it that freezes in winter. It would be different I'm sure if I was just cutting standing dead wood. I also think it has a lot to do with how much sand/dirt is frozen to the wood/ bark. The wood I get has usually been skidded out, where guys who cut and buck it up right where it drops are not going to be cutting nearly the sand and dirt I am.

Last edited:
I guess a lot depends on what you are cutting, when I get a logger load delivered of Red Oak mostly it is fresh cut green wood and has a lot of moisture in it that freezes in winter. It would be different I'm sure if I was just cutting standing dead wood. I also think it has a lot to do with how much sand/dirt is frozen to the wood/ bark. The wood I get has usually been skidded out, where guys who cut and buck it up right where it drops are not going to be cutting nearly the sand and dirt I am.

Right CF.
Firewood harvesting is a different cutting process for us. Fell, buck, haul in place. Usually with snow or hard ground. None of the skidding debris in the logs. It's some more work but saves the chains and stacking butts is easier. Leave the split and stacking for later on. Pulp is whole other story since it's in 4 footers and softwood--fewer cuts.
But the damn dead oaks seem to suck up dirt/sand/debris up the cambium under the bark that definately dulls any chain no matter how you try to clean the bark and junk off the trunk.:givebeer:
JMNSHO

I cut a lot of my firewood in the winter and have never noticed a big difference with frozen wood. I hear a lot of people say that their chains dull quicker because of snow, which I haven't noticed either. My guess is that the snow is covering other things that people are hitting and either blame the snow or the frozen wood instead of the rocks and dirt covered by the snow.

Back