Ok, How's This One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok, lets here some criticing(sp) on this tooth i filed. god, did i say i filed? i see it hit the tie strap slightly. the tooth is getting back a ways. shoulda used a 3/16.

and here's the same tooth after 6 hard cuts through 18 inches of hard maple. i think you can see the edge starting to break down, very slightly.

and this is the next tooth on the same chain that i ground. i think it is holding up a bit better, if you look close at the top plate leading edge. the differences, are probably so small, that the average humanoid can't tell the difference. still, that little "edge" sometimes can make the difference.

A couple of observations, if I may, oakman.

They both look a little blunt to my taste.  That is to say, I'd probably drop the tool a little bit further than you do.  But near as I can tell they are both about equal, so that wouldn't be much of a factor in the comparison.

If I had a gripe at all with what you're doing, it would have to be that with the differing angles/lighting between the last two images, it makes it somewhat less easy to draw fair a conclusion.  I like the lighting and angle better on the first tooth front view.  It seems as though the leading edge is in a lot more shadow on the second (both on the top of the top plate and on the face of the side plate), and the view is from more over the top looking down.  I'm sure there's a difference between the two teeth, but if you could precisely duplicate the setup when snapping the shots it would be a bit more helpful in fairly showing what you want to show.  As it is, your comparison comes across as slightly exaggerated.

It would also help to make it clear for posterity that this thread directly relates to <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9078">another</a> one.

Don't take any of this to mean I'm not thankful for your efforts.&nbsp; It's both educational and entertaining!

Glen

jus absolutely aint no good.:D just kiddin bud ,if shes droping thru the wood ,thats the only thing, makes any difference.
we can all say what ever ,]good or bad]and thats still the only thing that matters.luck to u.

The pictures are great! What set up are you using?
I'm with Glens that it would be nice if the shots were all as nice as the first one in this set.
Do you all think there's an advantage to the striations in the metal going in the same direction as the chip flow? Whenthe cutters are filed, the striations are horizontal, and in line with the chip flow. When the cutters are ground they are much finer, but vertical or perpendicular to the chip flow.
One more point, in the first picture you can actually see the chrome layer. You can see how the file chips away at it, rather than filing it. A picture with the same angle and lighting of a cutter shapened with a grinder might prove me wrong, :eek: , haha, no way.

ya, it's hard to get the exact angle and lighting 2 times in a row. need to fix the camera and saw, then move the chain. i think you need to be careful not to have two much hook. a cutter tooth is nothing more than a chisel hooked to a rotating chain. i grind my own planer and joiner knives, and grind others for cash. i have found that more than 35 degrees on the bevel, and the edge doesn't hold up as long. i grind all my knives at 30 degrees, then i grind whats known as a micro-bevel at 35 degrees. the micro-bevel makes the cutting edge last much longer in a wood planer. i gotta believe a chainsaw cutter tooth is impacting the wood almost as hard as a planer knife. maybe not, though. i would really like to see some high speed close up film of a cutter tooth going through the wood.

Yes, a tripod and a vise would go a long way to producing consistent imagery.

Even though it contains language which has a chance of perpetuating a mistaken understanding of what I'd said, I'd like to call your attention to http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=66856#post66856

I don't know if it was in that thread, but I chased down the contact information for the producer of the tape mentioned and posted it, but I did not follow up on it to see about current availability.

Glen

Latest posts

Back