OK I admit, I don't get it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoyed bucking firewood with my ported 2188, with an 8 pin rim and 24" bar. It was about three times faster cutting through a 20" log than my ported 562. In my feeble mind, that made it the right tool for the job... Have fun with your 40cc saws, but I will take a 70-90cc bucking 16" or bigger logs any day.

I use my Ryobi far more than any of my other saws, I'll run 4 tanks to every 1 on the bigger saws these days. Part of that is I've been cleaning up some tops in the bush so there is a fair bit of smaller stuff to be cut. I don't bother getting a bigger saw until the wood gets bigger than 10".

I sold my 288xp in favor of my 181's, also sold my non strat 372xp in favor of my j-red 2065 and my PP415........;)

Right tool for the job when I am serious. When I am playing, whatever my whim is at the moment. The situation and time constraint dictate.

Honestly I don't cut that much wood to justify the expense of a bigger saw. An Ms231 for light general purpose duties and an MS290 are enough for what I need. Should I need more power it's just a matter of converting the 290 to a 390 configuration. Cheaper than buying a new saw. ;)

I really enjoyed bucking firewood with my ported 2188, with an 8 pin rim and 24" bar. It was about three times faster cutting through a 20" log than my ported 562. In my feeble mind, that made it the right tool for the job... Have fun with your 40cc saws, but I will take a 70-90cc bucking 16" or bigger logs any day.
yup

I got no issues with anyone running big saws for the fun of it or because they just want to. Of course if someone's making his/her living with a saw, then choosing the right tool for the job becomes crucial. I will say that customers get the impression that I'm serious when I bring out the 77cc saw. Not saying that's a big saw, but it's bigger than what homeowners typically have around here.

My 40(ish)cc saws will cut the vast majority of my firewood. 62cc is my big saw and will pull a 25" bar through anything I have here just fine - I've never needed or wanted anything more than that. I enjoy getting the most done using the least fuel/energy and effort, and using a tool others think is too small and too inexpensive to work. That means sharp, narrow kerf chains, a few small tweaks here and there :rolleyes:, and proper tuning. I expect all my saws to pull the bars that are on them when buried.

But I know others like the feel of controlling the most energy they can hold. I guess that's never been my thing because I see that even the biggest, manliest saw has a pathetically tiny little engine on it compared to other machines we've created.

I also enjoy turning broken junk back into a useful tool, so the expensive or new pro saw thing just kind of bores me. The only thing that might drive me there eventually is that I'd like to get an AutoTune saw, as now poor traditional carbs are limiting any further increase in efficiency I can make. But if I wait long enough what is new will be old and broken.....

No mine is bigger.......:) That's why it's nice to have one in every cc class so you are always covered haha! Honestly though, I usually grab a 60ish cc saw for cutting most of the time. A small 40ish cc for limbing and a bigger saw for the occasional big cuts or milling.

I got no issues with anyone running big saws for the fun of it or because they just want to. Of course if someone's making his/her living with a saw, then choosing the right tool for the job becomes crucial. I will say that customers get the impression that I'm serious when I bring out the 77cc saw. Not saying that's a big saw, but it's bigger than what homeowners typically have around here.
Agreed.

Why do you AS members insist on the bigger model every time? Examples Stihl 056 super vrs mag two, Husky 365 vrs 372, Poulan 505 vrs 475. It has to be a "mines bigger" thing. I have run all these models and sometimes the smaller version is faster. Not always but enough so that a handfull of ccs doesen't always matter. The real puzzler is why the smaller version sells for sometimes $200 less. You guys are missing out on some real bargins by holding out for a few more ccs. I have built and hopped up a lot of 181/281s that will kick a 288 everytime. Especially the small combustion chamber thin ring 181. The 064 and 066 are another pair. Do a blind test sometime. I have run these all. Mike
I prefer my PS-6400 over my PS-7900 for everydays usage!
I do admit that the PS-7900 sports the higher "wow" factor, but she is only faster in up to 20" logs if the chain she's wearing features lowered rakers, or if she's driving a 8 tooth sprocket.

My PS-6400 is my main go to saw for almost a decade now!
Contrary to what one is being made believe, there is nothing wrong with this saw whatsoever!

My PS-7900 is just ridiculous overkill for most of my needs and gets basically ran for fun.

Back