OK I admit, I don't get it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Why do you AS members insist on the bigger model every time? Examples Stihl 056 super vrs mag two, Husky 365 vrs 372, Poulan 505 vrs 475. It has to be a "mines bigger" thing. I have run all these models and sometimes the smaller version is faster. Not always but enough so that a handfull of ccs doesen't always matter. The real puzzler is why the smaller version sells for sometimes $200 less. You guys are missing out on some real bargins by holding out for a few more ccs. I have built and hopped up a lot of 181/281s that will kick a 288 everytime. Especially the small combustion chamber thin ring 181. The 064 and 066 are another pair. Do a blind test sometime. I have run these all. Mike

I like a good small cc saw. My echos and poulan pro 46cc runs a 20 inch pretty good. A saw is only as good as the chain and operator

Nope, my 346XP or the 550 gets the nod more than the 359 or 372 does. They are tools and i pick the right one for the job. Yes, its nice to have the 372, but near 100% of my cutting could be handled with the 550xp, or heck, even my 350.

Today to do some firewood cutting I took a Stihl ms460, Echo 670 and a Jonsered 2040 that I put together and opened up the exhaust port advanced timing plus muffler mod (like a Poulan) and the only saw I ran was the 2040. It was cheap to buy, its light and easy on gas and easy on my back.

But the next time I go out I might not run anything under 70cc then again I might not run anything under 95cc so it just depends on which way the wind is blowing I guess. So fits the mood of the day.

Big saw mentality. Props to you if you want to limb and buck a tree with a 441 but I've just always thought about the right tool for the job. There are numerous reasons as to why, but some guys are just to manly to pick up a little ol ms170.

Of course big saws are funner. Until I'm burly enough to man handle a 661 with one hand like the fella who set the stock saw record here not too long ago, I'll keep using my little saws for what they're capable of doing.

Well guess my old age is got to me. I like my Lil 46 cc saw2016-01-08 18.56.17.jpg20 inch bar. Light, and if it did wear out I'm not out much money. Its just one of those stupid cheep gutless poulans that sure sounds good. But just recently made it much louder now that it don't have a silencer and has a longer stinger

Back