OK I admit, I don't get it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 038 mag for big stuff but most of the time i use 50 cc saw. Its having the rite tool for the job.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

To be honest, anything over 20-24" I'll probably use my 661, it's the only big saw I have. Everything else gets buzzed with the 261, the 170 gets the tiny stuff and the around the farm stuff. My dad has an 044 and friend has a 441 so if they're with I'll leave the 2' stuff to them. Our main firewood is bur oak and generally they have a ton of limbs so I use the 170 for the 3-4" stuff that I won't take for firewood, then limb it out with the 261. Hence my reasoning for the right tool for the job, I wouldn't expect somebody to zip off 50-60 or more little limbs with a 70cc saw, just seems like a waste of fuel and wear on a nice saw. Even a 50cc saw is just too much for them little limbs and you're not really gaining any speed cutting with it.

My dad makes fun of me for being like my grandpa in the aspect that I cut wood down to that small of size, but I'm not somebody to waste stuff like that. I've seen guys who don't cut rounds any smaller than 6-8" and just can't help but think of all the wood/heat they're wasting.

we cut down to about 2 inch stuff the smaller stuff goes to the fire pits or to cook over open fire why let the smaller stuff rot away and make a bigger mess

we cut down to about 2 inch stuff the smaller stuff goes to the fire pits or to cook over open fire why let the smaller stuff rot away and make a bigger mess

I think my plan for that smaller stuff going forward is to cut it to the longer lengths for the old smoke dragon in the garage, that way we're not wasting quite as much time on the small stuff. I don't really plan to split anything smaller than 6" anymore.

These threads usually don't do much good. There is a lot of brand loyalty, opinions, mine's bigger mentality. we've all got CAD (that is how we end up with a bunch of saws). To each his own, and being a 100% USA MALE I have my theory's as well.

The first point was it really doesn't take 70cc to keep the chain speed up when cutting smaller stuff. I still sort of miss my 260 which was the best at limbing that I ever had. couple years later I sold the 260 with the knowledge that the 440 is slightly heavier but can do the bucking better. The one saw plan. turned into a few backup saws as well. Everything is in the 70cc class tho.... With the exception of the little top handle Echo's which are perfect for trimming tasks, and taking apart pinion trees.

I am at 8000ft, and we are down a full 25% on power so the 70cc stuff is running about like a good 60cc thing down in the thicker soup elsewhere.

Why do you AS members insist on the bigger model every time? Examples Stihl 056 super vrs mag two, Husky 365 vrs 372, Poulan 505 vrs 475. It has to be a "mines bigger" thing. I have run all these models and sometimes the smaller version is faster. Not always but enough so that a handfull of ccs doesen't always matter. The real puzzler is why the smaller version sells for sometimes $200 less. You guys are missing out on some real bargins by holding out for a few more ccs. I have built and hopped up a lot of 181/281s that will kick a 288 everytime. Especially the small combustion chamber thin ring 181. The 064 and 066 are another pair. Do a blind test sometime. I have run these all. Mike
For got saws. That's one nice Mule Deer.

Back