Ok I am in Lust...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
In my mind the big problem with chainsaw milling has nothing to do with the milling part of it. It is handling the logs.

I came across the Johsred Iron Horse and I am in lust...Badly!

Now with Christmas coming up I just thought that I would mention this :)

Loading_big_log_on_sawmill.jpg

We_made_it_through_this_mud!.jpg

Winter_logging.jpg

Winching_rock1.jpg

Handlinggravelwithtipperplatform2.jpg

Very pricey. I looked into them 7 or 8 years ago and the base model started at 10k. I'm sure they are more now. Definitley an interesting piece of equipment.

Very pricey. I looked into them 7 or 8 years ago and the base model started at 10k. I'm sure they are more now. Definitley an interesting piece of equipment.

I agree, interesting piece of equipment, would be awful nice to play with in the woods, but $10K buys an awful lot of already skidded, already milled already kiln dried and ready to use lumber that somebody ELSE got for ya. Unless you had a commercial operation and could write it off, would be hard to justify that kind of expense. Like everything else, I'm sure it has its niche.

Thanks for posting the pics Mike it certainly looks like an interesting little beast. Although I am attracted to tracked vehicles, the problem with machines like the iron horse is they generally only go so far both in size/weight and capability. The size of logs logs I'd want a machine to handle would crush that thing too easily.

Also it's way more fun if you can ride on it! :)

Last edited:
Although I am attracted to tracked vehicles, the problem with machines like the iron horse is they generally only go so far both in size/weight and capability. The size of logs logs I'd want a machine to handle would crush that thing too easily.

Also it's way more fun if you can ride on it! :)

Good point, I agree completely. Years ago I ran the grapple skidder when my feller buncher had too much wood down ahead of the skidders... and I did enjoy that work. I guess if I had the room and needed to get logs out of the woods, I'd look into a used skidder for the kind of money that little tracked vehicle would cost. Havn't priced one, but I bet you could get a used one for $10K.

Good point, I agree completely. Years ago I ran the grapple skidder when my feller buncher had too much wood down ahead of the skidders... and I did enjoy that work. I guess if I had the room and needed to get logs out of the woods, I'd look into a used skidder for the kind of money that little tracked vehicle would cost. Havn't priced one, but I bet you could get a used one for $10K.

I guess it depends on your primary use, like skidding versus lifting. The "little" fork lift/loader I have access to at the yard is excellent for handing the sorts the logs that come into the yard where I'm milling and other things. It can lift a 2 ton log up onto saw horses for milling or a 500 lb slab up to 10 ft for stacking (not that my stacks are that high). Don't think I could fit it into my back yard though.

I'm sure I've posted a few pics of my little tracked machine in here. Bought it for 2700, and with some mods made what I wanted out of it. Those machines are similar to the CSM vs bandmill argument- you would be supprised what you can do for a LOT less, if you're willing to compromise, and make other available equipment work for you.
I'll post pics of my tractor if anyone is interested.

decent used tractor...five grand.

decent used implements...five grand.

not having to walk when skidding logs....Priceless!

couldn't resist.

decent used tractor...five grand.

decent used implements...five grand.

not having to walk when skidding logs....Priceless!

couldn't resist.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but even cheaper. You could find a decent older tractor with a 3 point for $3k, get a bottom lift bale fork for a couple of hundred, and bank the rest.

Mark

Cheap forklift

I bought myself a cheap forklift recently 2 1/2 ton lifting capacity , 14' lifting height , just perfect for my 14' high shed . Cost me $1350au - $1202.50us 2 box's of beer and 2 slab's of Blackwood . Cheer's MM

What appeals to me about this is the small footprint. The track that provides low pressure on the ground.

I do not think the I could get a small tractor in the same places.

Of course it is all lust anyways as unless I win the lottery I would never buy one of these.

Eg. I have lots of rock and marsh areas that are up a step slope.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's kind of what I was thinking, but even cheaper. You could find a decent older tractor with a 3 point for $3k, get a bottom lift bale fork for a couple of hundred, and bank the rest.

Mark

Try and find a decent used tractor here for even 5k. Good luck...

I guess it depends on your primary use, like skidding versus lifting. The "little" fork lift/loader I have access to at the yard is excellent for handing the sorts the logs that come into the yard where I'm milling and other things. It can lift a 2 ton log up onto saw horses for milling or a 500 lb slab up to 10 ft for stacking (not that my stacks are that high). Don't think I could fit it into my back yard though.

Yup, if you're not a commercial operation or you're on a shoestring like most of us, AND OR your handy with tools and fixin' stuff like most of us, used equipment is the way to go. I agree with poleframer, usually you can get by with a lot less if you use ingenuity/jigs/attack different way. btw... as for the skidding vs lifting, many skidders do have a blade on the front similar to a bulldozer that can be used to lift logs with a little modification. Our Timberjacks did, although mostly we used the blade for clearing or pushing equipment stuck in a mud hole.

I've seen those things operate at shows... Man, they are sloooooooooooooow! To me thay are one of those things that are really cool untill the newness wears off, then you wish you have bought something else...

Someone must like them though.... A tractor dealer over this way had one forsale some time ago, and from the "people" tracks in the drive on monday morning, they showed that several guys "picked it up" over the weekend and put it in a pu, and drove away!!

Anyone know what a Cushman Trackster is?? I had one of those for a time...

Rob

I've seen those things operate at shows... Man, they are sloooooooooooooow! To me thay are one of those things that are really cool untill the newness wears off, then you wish you have bought something else...

Ya know... didn't want to ask, but looking at the pics I speculated that this thing must crawl at a snails pace, which means it you're getting logs from the woods you better have all day to do it. Again... it probably fits a niche market. Me, I think I'd be looking for a used skidder or 4wd tractor.

A 4wd tractor with a rear skid or a set of forks

Wouldnt a tractor be cheaper, faster and better? I have seen some pretty nice looking tractors in my area for under 10K.

I use a 125 International crawler loader with a 4 in 1 and it will lift a 3' diameter log 18' long. Big iron is pricey for an occasional use. I ran the tractor commercially for 20 years and now it is a great property tractor.

Latest posts

Back