OK old timers...Homelite vs. McCulloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That had to be pretty loud! So did the Fairbanks-Morse motors replace Detriots or the other way around? I was out there in Wisconsin where they make those things a few years back. They had a "test" one cylinder diesel with a muffler the size of a silo. The piston measured in feet instead of inches...amazing. Can't imagin what that would sound like.

But back to the thread...how did those Old McCullochs stack up to the test of market, service, manufacturing quality, and time? What was McCulloch's answer to the Homelite XL800-XL125 series of saw? The 1-40 thru 200 series is the only 80cc McCulloch series of that mid 1960's I could find. How about the 797 thru 125 McCullochs as compared to the big Homelites? Were the parity or did one brand hold an edge over time?

I would be really curious to know the thought process behine the model numbers....where did 1-45 come from? Or 797? How did Homelite go from XL800 which at least made some sence with an 82cc saw to Super XL125?

Last edited:
Good Question

Around this part of the country,McCulloch was the top of the heap,so to speak,followed by Homelite,but this is farming country,not timber land.Most that sold saws,also sold farm equipment,so the saws were just a side line.In those days,it was the same old shouting match,over these brands ,as it is today with Stihl,and Husqvarna .:) Many of the tree trimers,used hand saws,in the tree, where they swung around like monkeys on the end of a manila rope.Most of the work,was line clearing.The big,direct drive saws,were not seen,too often,in these parts.We did have the old gear drives.Never saw many Homelites,but the big old model 47,and 73 and a few of the huge 2 man saws were around.The model 250 Mac was popular,as was the big blue Homey,I think c-60.How they compare,I have no idea.I did serve a sentence,one winter as a lad,on the helper handle of my uncles Mall model 7,and haven't been too fond of them since,but that's just my personal preference.As far as the Mac 797,and cp/sp 125,as compared to the Homey 2000,2100s,I don't know that one either.These were Pacific coast logging saws,so maybe someone from the coast,where the sun sets on,will step up to the plate.

I really like old homelites; the reason......I keep getting them given to me. I picked up a C-9 and a 360 professional in the last month. Hope to have them both cutting again.

Checked the spark on a flooded Homelite XL-2 by laying the plug on the muffler (in the shop with the bosses wife watching). Really entertaining. That is why I am a little shy of the match to the muffler routine

2-10 vs SXL

After acquiring a mac 2-10, I decided to put my homie to the test. With sharp chains, 140 psi each saw, 16" bars, fresh gas. The mac was much less bulky, and also cut a little faster than the super xl. What the homelite lacked in speed it made up for in torque. I was able to stall the mac if I really tried, the homie put up more of a fight. I like these homeowner size saws from this vintage, they are pretty reliable backups and a blast to run now and then.

Joe

My only experience with Mac is a 200. It was a good saw, a bit temperamental to get started in cold weather and also when hot. . . and... no match for my Super XL925.
My XL12 starts up after month of no use second pull and you cannot stop it cold or hot, sharp or dull it goes and goes. I never had a Mac that could compare with my 1050 in size so I am not considering that one.
All in all, I think Homelites are more reliable than the Macs.

I like them both but I'm still partial to the old Mac's. My dad still uses his regularly and my Grandpas is in my shed and still runs pretty well. When I was a kid I thought all chainsaws were yellow. But I do like my old Homelites to.

Latest posts

Back