OK saw mechanics, whats wrong with this auction?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And all the time I thought cylinders were coated with chrome or nikasil............

I know there was a company in the olden days that bored and rechromed SEZ cylinders and provided an oversize piston. I got an SEZ with one in it. I wonder if its the same company that also did this for 925s? Real question is who made these oversize pistons? don't think I'd spend more than $20 to find out if they're any good or not. I bet it'll have thick rings too.

Dan

I know there was a company in the olden days that bored and rechromed SEZ cylinders and provided an oversize piston. I got an SEZ with one in it. I wonder if its the same company that also did this for 925s? Real question is who made these oversize pistons? don't think I'd spend more than $20 to find out if they're any good or not. I bet it'll have thick rings too.

Dan
Yes they would have to re chrome that cyl after taking out .030 where are you going to get a piston to fit these day's? All I can say is if you have DEEP POCKETS any thing can be done.

Makes you wonder if that piston is oval or round. Kinda looks round (homemade) to me. lol

Be sure to push those rings out with the piston itself, not with fingers. lol

Something just don't look good here. Without digging a 925 cylinder out for reference. That cylinder looks more like it should fit an SEZ. Aren't 925 cylinders flat across the bottom with the total length of the bore inside the cylinder.

Looks like the bottom portion of that cylinder is broke. That doesn't look right at all weather it is a 925 or a SEZ.

That exhaust port isn't too heathy looking either. Looks like someone took a file to it.

If I got a piston back from a machine shop that looked like that I would be a:angry2:

Larry

Last edited:
That is.....Well it was a 925 cylinder, you can tell by the oval EX port. I dont think this setup would run worth crap even if the ring locating pin stayed in the piston.

The port timing is all off due to the boring, and the piston wont balance with the crank no more. Im pretty sure the rough surface on top of the piston is due to it having been cut down to stop it from cramming into the squish band area. Again, this affects the port timing.

Im also wondering what shape the piston skirt took after being squashed in the 3 jaw when it was turned.:dizzy:

And how much of the dome is left.

And, and ,and:monkey:

What's wrong???

All the frigg'in "keywords": POULAN, MCCULLOCH, HOMELITE STIHL, HUSQVARNA, LOMBARD, LANCASTER, SEARS, CRAFTSMAN, DAVID BRADLEY, STRUNK

In particular.. What is SHRUNK????

Thos pits in the piston look like detonation damage that did not clean up. Don't worry, those sharp edges wont make any hot turbulant spots in front of the squish. That saw will detonate like crazy if it has any compression at all.

speaking of pistons anyone good at identifing a piston for a Homelite i happen to have one that i do not have a clue what it fits i do know it has two rings on it there happens to be a 12301A stamped on the piston anyone can help identify this would be greatful for it

thanks
calvin

I know the seller of the item. He is a few hours north of me. I am not going to post an opinion of the auction out of respect to Roger. If someone would like to contact him via phone let me know and I will PM you his number.

Bill

I have to defend the auction. I mean he says clearly what you see is what you get and if you had to you could get another piston machined. I think it may not be the best choice but it could get a dead saw running.

Back