Ok, so we all love cutting it, but what about burning it? (Wood, that is...)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiterch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've created a new forum for people who burn wood stoves (and other stoves) for heat. I figure some of my fellow saw lovers must throw a split or two in the 'ol metal hot box from time to time. :)

www.stovenet.com

I've wanted to create a forum for quite some time as a hobby, but I never felt I had a decent reason to create one. To make a long story short, I've been doing a lot of statistical type work lately as part of my full-time job (yeah, I'm one of those weekend saw warriors), and I've decided to try and apply statistical analysis to wood burning. The site is more than just that though, it's a fully featured modern forum, with discussion boards, and a picture gallery, among other things.

I'm hoping that by building up a community of stove burners that I'll be able to conduct surveys to gather information about a multitude of stove related topics that can be analyzed to find statistical trends. I plan on reporting all findings on the site so that others can benefit from this work.

So if you're into wood burning (or coal, gas, and oil, we cover it all there), stop on by. The forum just launched yesterday so it's not very active yet, but I hope that changes as the idea takes hold and people decide to participate.

To the management: I checked the site rules and I don't think I'm in violation of any of them by posting this. I've been a member here for several years so I'm hoping it is ok. If it's not, feel free to remove this post and accept my apologies.

Wow, my bad. I never noticed that. You could spend your entire life here in the Chainsaw forum, which apparently I have...

Looks like you got a nice set up. Would be nice if you could post larger pics.

:greenchainsaw:

I don't see anything wrong with this. Reiterch has been around here for quite awhile so it's not like he's a troll. The way I see it the other site might attract new people that will migrate to here. The more information the better.

I agree - no harm in posting other relevant forums, regardless of how one seeks to interpret the rules. I would argue that the net traffic flow is actually favorable to AS, based upon my experience with the other forums I visit where AS gets mentioned.

I heat my home with a wood insert downstairs,, and my upstairs a heat pump....Saved me alot,,I mean alot of money with the electric bills...
I prob. wasted away thousand of dollars cutting logs into firewood till I found AS...Got me into CSMing and it to me is worth my time and what nice wood I get to make furniture out of....

noticed the woodstock keystone

in the gallery on stoveNet. Looks like the pic was taken at the woodstock factory. Did you visit the factory or do you work there? Curiostiy at this point.

take care.

in the gallery on stoveNet. Looks like the pic was taken at the woodstock factory. Did you visit the factory or do you work there? Curiostiy at this point.
take care.

Neither case. I am kicking around putting an addition on my house and the Keystone is the stove I'd like to put in it. I had that picture saved off (can't remember where I got it, somewhere on Woodstock's site) and figured I'd throw it up in the Gallery. I'd like to get at least one picture of every stove model eventually, so that as people talk about their stoves they have something to reference. If you're looking at the Woodstock stoves they are an amazing deal right now, since they are discounted and will qualify for the 30% tax credit (not yet verified, but Woodstock is basically guaranteeing it).

Visiting the factory is one of the things on my list of to-dos. I ski in VT at least once a year (I live in PA), and I've always wanted to stop over in NH to see the factory, but it hasn't worked out yet. Next year hopefully.

If any of you guys join up, feel free to plug ArboristSite when it makes sense. I have a chainsaw forum over there but it will never compare to what's here, and I'm not expecting it to. I put it in more for organizational purposes. My opinion is there's no use being stingy with good information, and this place is a goldmine, especially for chainsaws (which is why I originally found this place and continue to lurk here).

I can't get in from here at work (blocked), but will look from home...good luck with it. I don't "Plug" other sites, but use them for references, mainly heatinghelp.com, **********....why can't we all just get along?
:chainsaw:

I don't have a problem with it at all. I was simply trying to save the OP some trouble. I've been in trouble before and though I'd try to help you out. Here's the quote from the Guidelines.

Direct links to and/or mentioning other Green Industry forum sites are not permitted at ArboristSite.com. Links that contain information that is related to the thread content are permitted on the condition that:
A) The link must be to a particular post or thread in the other forum, not the forum homepage itself.
B) It must be relevant to the discussion where it's being linked from.
C) ArboristSite.com reserves the right to censor any website.

woodstock

I have the fireview. Actually I'm on my third one , they keep cracking. Third time around woodstock is not so kind with taking care of the issue. I quote a line from the woodstock representative "What we can't do is guarantee any customer that they will never have a stone crack in their stove". I know I would have liked to have had the statement in the research phase of purchasing a woodstove. I'm not saying don't buy a woodstock product, but purchase knowing you could be the small percentage (woodstocks claim) that incounters a cracked woodstove (in my case it has been three).

take care

I have the fireview. Actually I'm on my third one , they keep cracking. Third time around woodstock is not so kind with taking care of the issue. I quote a line from the woodstock representative "What we can't do is guarantee any customer that they will never have a stone crack in their stove". I know I would have liked to have had the statement in the research phase of purchasing a woodstove. I'm not saying don't buy a woodstock product, but purchase knowing you could be the small percentage (woodstocks claim) that incounters a cracked woodstove (in my case it has been three).

take care

I've heard you're supposed to do a small "break in" fire every year with a soapstone stove to try and reduce chances of cracking by slowly driving any accumulated moisture out. I've heard of cracks on the Hearthstones but you're the first I've heard about cracking a Woodstock. The Woodstocks are double-wall construction, was it an inside or outside stone that kept cracking? If it's an inside stone, I wouldn't worry too much unless the crack is huge. If it's an outside stone, I'd be bummed, due to the aesthetic issue, but also very surprised because I would have thought the double-wall construction would have allowed the outer stone to warm up gently every time, since the inner wall buffers it from too much immediate heat.

Heck, drop by and share your story, I'm sure others have thoughts as well.

I agree - no harm in posting other relevant forums, regardless of how one seeks to interpret the rules. I would argue that the net traffic flow is actually favorable to AS, based upon my experience with the other forums I visit where AS gets mentioned.

Well, they are a bit sensitive about competing forums here. For example, you cannot even say ######### on this forum. It automatically blanks it out. Ekka started that forum a while ago in Oz. He is still on AS.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with it at all. I was simply trying to save the OP some trouble. I've been in trouble before and though I'd try to help you out. Here's the quote from the Guidelines.

Direct links to and/or mentioning other Green Industry forum sites are not permitted at ArboristSite.com. Links that contain information that is related to the thread content are permitted on the condition that:
A) The link must be to a particular post or thread in the other forum, not the forum homepage itself.
B) It must be relevant to the discussion where it's being linked from.
C) ArboristSite.com reserves the right to censor any website.

Trouble Maker!!!!!! :givebeer::dizzy: :angry2::agree2::deadhorse::buttkick::welcome::taped:

Latest posts

Back