OK to insert 1" screw into mature tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeq

Reaction score
I want to fasten a reflector to a mountain ash tree in my front yard. This tree is fairly mature. I think it may even be 50 years old. If I insert 1 or 2 screws 1" into the side of the tree, will it possibly cause any serious harm to the tree in the future? (I know this may be a dumb question but I'm completely new to tree ownership). Thanks.

1" long screws are unlikely to kill the tree. but they will harm it to a very small degree. The two camps have already weighed in ahead of me :)

A dab of silicone adhesive or some other exterior construction adhesive would also be a non-invasive way to attach the reflectors. If you choose to use screws, find the shortest possible, hopefully no longer than the thickness of the corky bark to keep from injuring the cambium.

Certain types of metal screws can cause harm to the tree, and can cause grief later on if the tree is ever removed. Better to get the stake type and leave the tree alone in my opinion.

Thanks!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and for letting me know the various alternatives! The silicone adhesive idea is the most appealing to me. I'll think I'll try that. Best wishes to all. :)

If 'mountain ash' is the same tree in the US as it is in the UK (aka rowan - Sorbus aucuparia), I wouldn't wound it in any way. Some trees are less resistant to decay fungi than others; in my experience, wounds on older rowan often tend to result in extensive rot.

Latest posts

Back