Screws in Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen engine parts in trees, engine blocks etc, my father has a rocker gear from a 6 cylinder Chev truck that is still buried in some wood. Makes a good talking piece.

The Trails committee in my town uses aluminum nails. Pounded in approx 3/4 of the way.
That's pretty standard in our neck of the woods (W. Mass, North of you).

Also - It's something I think about when ever I do any roadside loggin. Hitting a nail brings the suck.
Try cutting on property that was an auto junkyard for sixty years, starting about eighty years ago. There are *cars* in some of them there trees...

Well, parts of them... but still, no fun to hit.

Anyone that suggests using wooden dowels is completely clueless regarding the amount of work involved in keeping a trail marked, some of which are hundreds or thousands of miles long (Appalachian and Pacific crest trails, for example). The OP is trying to reach out and find an acceptable compromise to affected parties, which is to be commended. Thank you slowP for illuminating some of the constraints in trail upkeep. Perhaps those advocating wooden dowels should try using a crosscut saw for awhile - might be illuminating.

Latest posts

Back