Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm right there with you... But I would love to be able to change port timing if something is a limiting factor.
The nice thing about porting by the numbers, is you can expect predictable results from proven numbers... I was into a 460 and was able to give Wiggs a call and get a set of numbers that were tried and true work saw numbers... For that model...
The rest is up to the guy with the burr and sand paper...

I've been thinking about trying one myself. So far that's as far as I've got. Just thinking. I gather different saws get different treatment. What worries me is what to take out, where to take out, and how much to take out. And not have a bzzzzp, oops. What I need is a one on one porting 101.

hey all! hope eveyones well, i was messing with saws in my little shed tonight... the air comming in my the tiny window was freezing... I gave up until another day

I've been thinking about trying one myself. So far that's as far as I've got. Just thinking. I gather different saws get different treatment. What worries me is what to take out, where to take out, and how much to take out. And not have a bzzzzp, oops. What I need is a one on one porting 101.
Bzzzppp??? I've had a few of those...

Mornin Les! Good to hear from you. How are you doing? How's the Barker coming along?

Looks like I "get" to go in Monday to have my hip replaced again.:cry: Lasted a little over 5 years.:(
man Steve im so sorry, ill be praying for you, let me know if you need anything, later cobey

What is the deal? Every other thread seems somebody has the Do-it-Myself porting virus. You will never see me take a grinder to a piston or cylinder. I was showing my brother my saws this afternoon and explaining to him (as well as I can) what was done to them. He asked my when I was going to start building them. My answer was "Never".

Too freakin' cold in the garage today to do much except send a Remy SL-4 home with a fellow from out by Gallatin.
:) it was just warm enough to start the old lombard thanks Carl. thanks for your time teaching me stuff about old saws :) and for making me want a mc ribb BBQ :) :)

What is the deal? Every other thread seems somebody has the Do-it-Myself porting virus. You will never see me take a grinder to a piston or cylinder. I was showing my brother my saws this afternoon and explaining to him (as well as I can) what was done to them. He asked my when I was going to start building them. My answer was "Never".

Yeah, that's why I'm still in the thinking stage. I really enjoy bringing saws back from the dead and would hate to screw one up while trying to port it.

The nice thing about porting by the numbers, is you can expect predictable results from proven numbers... I was into a 460 and was able to give Wiggs a call and get a set of numbers that were tried and true work saw numbers... For that model...
The rest is up to the guy with the burr and sand paper...

Numbers are a good thing I got some numbers from Stumpy on a after market kit for a 350/346. it is a nice cutting saw.

Man, I'm gone for a few days and there's more hacking, Steve needs a new hip, ice, snow and idiots are combining to make accidents and we're all going to a porting class at Matt's... Holy Hell!!!
Howdy Y'all!!!! Got the 7.3 dually picked up today. It is nice to have 6 wheel drive with diesel motivation and manual control!!!

Latest posts

Back