Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than I wanted to pay... All diesels are high here. OBS trucks are reasonable, but are usually beat up pretty bad. Mine has 210K on the clock, a new turbo, clutch, hpop, lift pumps and A LOT of small issues/body damage and I still gave $8.5K for it...

I'm looking at a 1999 4x4 F-550 with a snowplow, Heston dump bed with the salt spreader built in, live hydraulics on the engine, and a 7.3 diesel with auto. Only 49K, but he wants $21K for it. The truck is pristine, but that still seems high.

If I had the money, I would buy it, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I'm looking at a 1999 4x4 F-550 with a snowplow, Heston dump bed with the salt spreader built in, live hydraulics on the engine, and a 7.3 diesel with auto. Only 49K, but he wants $21K for it. The truck is pristine, but that still seems high.

If you think that is hi go look at a new one with all the options you are looking at. I would guess the cab and chassis is 40k+. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Ford-F...fc822e&item=200990818862&pt=Commercial_Trucks

I refuse to pay more just to pay more... I like diesels, but the cost of operation vs the benefits, just don't pencil out... Not even close...
Just the cost of oil changes is astounding... Then you have the fuel, and don't forget the additives you need to run in it because of the low sulphur diesel...
Ugh....

I refuse to pay more just to pay more... I like diesels, but the cost of operation vs the benefits, just don't pencil out... Not even close...
Just the cost of oil changes is astounding... Then you have the fuel, and don't forget the additives you need to run in it because of the low sulphur diesel...
Ugh....
I kinda sorta wanted a diesel pickup for a long time. Then fuel price went higher than gas and like you said maintenance is crazy high.

My V-10 F-550 engine has been great. No problems whatsoever.

All my 7.3 diesels...a giant pain. Injectors...glow plugs...high pressure oil pump leaks, leaks, and more leaks...injector wiring in the valve gasket...turbocharger...turbocharger under warranty...heat riser not opening...it never seems to quit.

On the other hand, that V-10 only gets 10mpg.

If you think that is hi go look at a new one with all the options you are looking at. I would guess the cab and chassis is 40k+. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Ford-F...fc822e&item=200990818862&pt=Commercial_Trucks

Yeah, and that is with a POS 6.0 diesel engine. I understand those are worth much less than an older version with a 7.3.

Did you notice the "newly installed" engine. That is because they are all for sale "recently rebuilt" and "new injectors" and "new this" and "new that". The word on the street is: don't buy a 6.0.

Last edited:
Yeah, and that is with a POS 6.0 diesel engine. I understand those are worth much less than an older version with a 7.3.

Did you notice the "newly installed" engine. That is because they are all for sale "recently rebuilt" and "new injectors" and "new this" and "new that". The word on the street is: don't buy a 6.0.
When they first came out, that word was right... BUT.......
It was, and still is, an engine with awesome potential... You just gotta be "in the know" on what to do to them after your purchase...
I really like the performance of the diesels, and MAY get one some day... BUT...
From a sheer numbers perspective, a fleet of 5.4's will cost you way less to own than the diesels... V-10's are fine, but use a lot of gas... Remember, few people ever pull a 15-25,000 pound gooseneck wherever they go.. Most times, the smaller gasser has plenty of poop to get the job done...
OH, and ford's latest diesel is a 6.4 Liter, and is solid as a rock...
Ford designed / Ford built...
Not Navistar...
And has to use DEF (just adding more to the cost of operation) Thank you EPA.. )-:

Last edited:
Proud 6.0L owner here... 156,000 on the clock with original injectors, original head gaskets, original turbo, original HPOP... I did have to replace the Cam Sensor at 122,000 miles, and a leaking intercooler at 140,000. My next truck will be an EcoBoost Ford F-150, unless diesel decides to drop about $1.00/gallon sometime soon.
I am a big Cummins fan... just don't care for all that stuff Dodge bolts on around it... LOL! I had an OBS 7.3L in a 1997. I really miss that truck, mainly because I could still work on it.
The new 6.7L Ford built engines are supposed to be the Cat's Meow.... Just imagine how efficient a new diesel truck could be if the EPA kept their nose out of the manufacturers business. Diesel Particulate Filters STINK!

Proud 6.0L owner here... 156,000 on the clock with original injectors, original head gaskets, original turbo, original HPOP... I did have to replace the Cam Sensor at 122,000 miles, and a leaking intercooler at 140,000. My next truck will be an EcoBoost Ford F-150, unless diesel decides to drop about $1.00/gallon sometime soon.
I am a big Cummins fan... just don't care for all that stuff Dodge bolts on around it... LOL! I had an OBS 7.3L in a 1997. I really miss that truck, mainly because I could still work on it.
The new 6.7L Ford built engines are supposed to be the Cat's Meow.... Just imagine how efficient a new diesel truck could be if the EPA kept their nose out of the manufacturers business. Diesel Particulate Filters STINK!
I always hear the 20mpg thing tossed around, but nothing I've ever run got near that. What does your 6.0 get?

Plow + spreader = rust. Its there, I guarantee it, just gotta look harder.

No, that truck was absolutely pristine. The dump/salt spreader bed is a neat contraption that has a sloped bottom and a conveyor built in. The conveyor is all rusted up, to be sure.

To tell you the truth, it doesn't look like this truck ever got used, except perhaps by a supervisor. The goofy sloped dump bed probably kept it from being used in the summer time, and it really doesn't look like it was from an area where it snows much. I think the conveyor is rusted up because it hasn't been used enough to keep it loose. The rest of the truck looks like it has been parked in a garage.

I have worn out and replaced 3 salt trucks since 1982, and any number of conveyors on salt spreaders, so I'm not new at recognizing the wear.

I put an oil filter full of used oil in the hot coals of the wood stove tonight...
It worked awesome!!!
I have discovered a way to get rid of about 40 gallons of used motor oil!!!
Burns hotter that crap too!!
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Don't tell the EPA...

Don't tell the EPA...

It's ok. I have a waste oil burner, and I have had the Mo. Dept of Natural Resources out inspecting me for violations. If all your waste oil goes into the chimney; you are doing ok.

Don't advertise that you will take waste oil! That leads to visits by the DNR. :(

A guy I knew had a dripper on his stove in his shop.It hada valve on it to adjust,it sure did get his shop warm,and get rid of his used moteroil.There are some people that think that is about as bad a thing as you can do,but I am not one of them.It is just a good way to get rid of used moteroil.What else are you going to do with it.

I'm gonna experiment with a larger metal container...
Seems to burn real hot and clean as long as the fire is hot enough already... The oil boils in the container, and only burns what boils out...
Like steam... But flammable...
Voc's man...

Latest posts

Back