Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always hear the 20mpg thing tossed around, but nothing I've ever run got near that. What does your 6.0 get?
Unloaded, driving 65 mph, I get every bit of 20 . I've got an Edge tuner in it, and I'm pretty happy with it. I almost always am towing a 5x10 cargo trailer, and I get 15-16 pulling that depending on the wind.
When I bought my first diesel truck, diesel was cheaper than gasoline... Times have changed...
Ol' Blue will probably get sold this year and a gas burner will take its place.

Sagetown did you ever find the chain tentioner for your old pioneer.
Yeah; WKEND LUMBERJAK: Jim got one from DaddySixtySix (DSS), and sent it to me. It's cracked in the same place where mine broke off. I've been toying with it, and made some copies of it, but they're not spring steel like they should be.

p.s. Hey Jim, good to see ya. :)

I'm gonna experiment with a larger metal container...
Seems to burn real hot and clean as long as the fire is hot enough already... The oil boils in the container, and only burns what boils out...
Like steam... But flammable...
Voc's man...

Not a VOC, dude. The rules change when you drop that stuff onto cherry-hot coals.
(volatile organic compound)​

Put too much oil in, and you will form a dense cloud of boiling oil that might displace all the air in your stove. It could conceivably extinguish the flame from lack of oxygen. Depending on the design of your stove, you might fill up the entire exhaust stack with flammable oil/steam. If that goes up the flue burning (most likely), your chimney will begin to resemble a jet engine. Or...if you have a damper in the flue, it might start pouring out the air inlets.

Either scenario might get exciting.

No, that truck was absolutely pristine. The dump/salt spreader bed is a neat contraption that has a sloped bottom and a conveyor built in. The conveyor is all rusted up, to be sure.

To tell you the truth, it doesn't look like this truck ever got used, except perhaps by a supervisor. The goofy sloped dump bed probably kept it from being used in the summer time, and it really doesn't look like it was from an area where it snows much. I think the conveyor is rusted up because it hasn't been used enough to keep it loose. The rest of the truck looks like it has been parked in a garage.

I have worn out and replaced 3 salt trucks since 1982, and any number of conveyors on salt spreaders, so I'm not new at recognizing the wear.

Must be nice living down south! Up here a truck that's been on plow and salt duty for 15 years is a rust bucket, no matter the brand. I swapped the plow off my 91 onto my 88 that had never been on a plow because the frame was ready to buckle on the 91 due to rust. The body's rotted on the 88, but the frame's solid yet.

Not a VOC, dude. The rules change when you drop that stuff onto cherry-hot coals.
(volatile organic compound)​

Put too much oil in, and you will form a dense cloud of boiling oil that might displace all the air in your stove. It could conceivably extinguish the flame from lack of oxygen. Depending on the design of your stove, you might fill up the entire exhaust stack with flammable oil/steam. If that goes up the flue burning (most likely), your chimney will begin to resemble a jet engine. Or...if you have a damper in the flue, it might start pouring out the air inlets.

Either scenario might get exciting.
If vaporizing / flamable oil ain't a VOC, then what is it???
It's an unburnt burnable until it reaches a flash point...
And I'm getting damn little smoke if any out the pipe...

"Volatile" is a chemistry term that is used to describe some of the physical properties of a compound.

ALL compounds, even minerals, have what is called "vapor pressure", which is what the pressure will equilibrate to if the compound is put into a total vacuum until the pressure adjusts due to evaporation or sublimation. The vapor pressure of compounds that evaporate quickly is rather high; sometimes higher than atmospheric pressure. Almost anything with a boiling temperature lower than water is considered volatile.

The real issue is that if it isn't "volatile" at room temperature, it generally isn't considered a VOC. Gasoline is, oil ain't.

As you are aware, put them on hot coals and you will get way more fire & heat out of the oil.

Last edited:
Must be nice living down south! Up here a truck that's been on plow and salt duty for 15 years is a rust bucket, no matter the brand. I swapped the plow off my 91 onto my 88 that had never been on a plow because the frame was ready to buckle on the 91 due to rust. The body's rotted on the 88, but the frame's solid yet.

That is the mystery about the truck I am looking at. I just don't know what kind of place would ever have a salt truck and never drive it around in the snow.

"Volatile" is a chemistry term that is used to describe some of the physical properties of a compound.

ALL compounds, even minerals, have what is called "vapor pressure", which is what the pressure will equilibrate to if the compound is put into a total vacuum until the pressure adjusts due to evaporation or sublimation. The vapor pressure of compounds that evaporate quickly is rather high; sometimes higher than atmospheric pressure. Almost anything with a boiling temperature lower that water is considered volatile.

The real issue is that if it isn't "volatile" at room temperature, it generally isn't considered a VOC. Gasoline is, oil ain't.

As you are aware, put them on hot coals and you will get way more fire & heat out of the oil.
Ok... Question...
We use ink... That at room temperature, is stable...
When we heat it, the solvents "evaporate".. We are said to be emitting VOC's..
What gives???

Are you referring to a printing process of some sort?

Inks usually have VOC's included specifically because they make the ink soft and gooey, yet will still dry out when printed onto paper. The oil base of the ink may not be too volatile, but some of the stuff in it is. If it evaporates at room temperature, you can count on it being called volatile. Basically, if you can smell the solvent, it will be a VOC. Water based inks may have some volatility (water does evaporate), but water does not qualify as "organic".

Some examples:
Dry ice...Extremely volatile, but does not qualify as an organic compound.
Water... not an organic compound, and not really too volatile.
Acetone...terribly volatile, and very "organic".
Benzene...this is the stuff that inspires many hydrocarbon respirator requirements. Not really very volatile, but it is considered quite the health risk.
Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB's)...organic, but not at all volatile. Supposed to be bad for you, the real problem is the persistence in the environment. Persistence and high volatility are seldom found together in one compound. Prior to the EPA banning them, PCB's used to be a significant part of some inks.

Pretty much all the elements of ink that are intended to evaporate will be VOC's. If they were not volatile, they would not dry out, and the printer would find a different ink.

I'm looking at a 1999 4x4 F-550 with a snowplow, Heston dump bed with the salt spreader built in, live hydraulics on the engine, and a 7.3 diesel with auto. Only 49K, but he wants $21K for it. The truck is pristine, but that still seems high.

If I had the money, I would buy it, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.
That would be nice, except for the auto part (for me anyway). The 7.3's are like Harleys in that they tend to mark their territory. A lot. But they are very long lasting engines once you install a good bypass filters on the oil system and the coolant system. The 6.0s can be gold after the EGRs are deleted, headstuds instaled, and a few other things done. A larger investment? Yes. BUT, you tend to be able to buy them much more cheaply (relatively speaking) than their 7.3 forbears, in equal condition/miles. It still costs the same, but you end up investing the difference in making the 6.0s the trucks that they should have been from the factory. I really wanted a -450 or -550, but I was lucky to get what I did. A friend has a nice '07 -450 reg cab 4x4 , with a 10' cannonball dump/bale bed. There might be 30K on it. Eventually it might fall into my lap for an unfortunately commensurate sum of money, but it has been flawless and impeccably maintained, so we'll see. It s a torqueshift 5spd auto which I could learn to live with as they tend to be stronger/more reliable (with factory parts) than the 4R100's or E4OD's... Now put in a BTS (Brian's Truck Shop) built 4R100 and that's a horse of a different color.

Now Hedge is mostly right with the cost/maintenance part vs the gassers, but when you're trying to pull a 16-20' dump trailer, 20-30' flatbed, or 40' bale hauler tube trailer that's where the V10 or the Powerstroke shines (Duramaxes, Cummins, 8.1 V8s and Dodge V10s as well). After that you have to decide, which is the lesser of 2 evils, maintenance costs (with great longevity and better mileage) or horrible mileage (with decent maintenance costs and ok longevity). It's all relative. If I had the funds to buy trucks decently often I might go after a V10, as the 5.4 I had in my last F-350 was a dog for the tasks I wanted it to do, unless you drove it like a Ferrari as it had little power below 3.5K rpm. I like having torque right off of idle. If I could build the truck I wanted, (and I'm a Chevy person by heart) it would be an '05-'06 -450 or -550 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6spd stick with a de-epa'ed 6.7 Cummins and a PTO driven winch. That would be a great wood truck for me (provided stake sides and a GN hitch). Airbags would also be a nice addition as they tend to smooth out the ride a bit, especially when pushing near gross.

While in the army spend many winters thankful for the drip fired stoves which used diesel fuel. If you cut the diesel with 25% gas it burnt much better. Now you have me thinking; I have the option of adding a water heating loop in my shop wood burner, what if I used one of the openings to run a drip tube, ...

Latest posts

Back