Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening folks, pulled a compression check on the old white truck this afternoon. I think all that clattering was the valve train coming apart. Cyl #1 0, #2 60, #3 o, #4 120, #5 30, #6 120. Pulling the head on these fuel injected 300's is a real PITA. Other than that it was a nice day.:)

On a similar note: I loaded Tapatalk on my Iphone 5 and it works well. Not near like using my 'puter tho.

Morning fellas! Geezer bladder strikes again. Going back to bed.

Tapatalk is what I use exclusively, my desktop is caput!! I can get most everything done from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Evening folks, pulled a compression check on the old white truck this afternoon. I think all that clattering was the valve train coming apart. Cyl #1 0, #2 60, #3 o, #4 120, #5 30, #6 120. Pulling the head on these fuel injected 300's is a real PITA. Other than that it was a nice day.:)

Word from Allen is that the Ford 300 uses a fiber gear on the camshaft. Failure of which shouldn't cause valve interfearence with the pistons. That being the case I suspect something caused the valve stems to stick. Evidence of which is the near zero compression on half the cylinders.

On the Forester front: We have arranged for it to be towed from mile marker 37 on I435 but don't know to where to take it yet. I may end up with some yard art for a spell.

I hope Michael pushed it far enuff off the shoulder it won't be towed as a traffic hazard.

Word from Allen is that the Ford 300 uses a fiber gear on the camshaft. Failure of which shouldn't cause valve interfearence with the pistons. That being the case I suspect something caused the valve stems to stick. Evidence of which is the near zero compression on half the cylinders.

Remebering back to my auto machine shop days those did have a phenolic (wood fiber and resin) gear on the camshaft that would often loose a couple of teeth and then you'd bend a bunch of valves.

Remebering back to my auto machine shop days those did have a phenolic (wood fiber and resin) gear on the camshaft that would often loose a couple of teeth and then you'd bend a bunch of valves.

OK then it is a so called 'interference' engine.
I'm not sure if it is or isn't.

Dodge Neon is an interference engine. Ask me how I know that. Yikes!

Gear is most likely Westinghouse Micarta. Rosin fabric laminate.

'05 Forester safely hauled over to shop on Pear just a two miles from here. Engine from a wreck with 67K original miles on the way. Mike's car has 150K on it. We will be way upside down in the darn thing when the dust settles.

Paint on the Homie is still soft after two solid days. And, clutch spider is cracked.

Ford 300 straight six is not a zero clearance engine. A lot of 4 cyl engines built from the middle 90's and newer are zero clearance engines.

i spent more time fixing a guys rocked chain today than squaring up a chain :p
funny how you learn stuff anytime you sharpen a chain, today it was filing with a handle vs. no handle

Latest posts

Back