Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since most of my wood is relatively clean, I use full chisel most of the time. Thank God for a tractor with forks/grapple, bucking trailer & splitter with out-feed tables! I can normally pick-up & keep the logs/wood off the ground.

For stump work I use semi-chisel with a hard nosed bar.

Since most of my wood is relatively clean, I use full chisel most of the time. Thank God for a tractor with forks/grapple, bucking trailer & splitter with out-feed tables! I can normally pick-up & keep the logs/wood off the ground.

I use alot of full chisel too, just wanting some old small chassis 3/8 full chisel for some chain geek stuff :)

How are the pain meds John? :yes:

Morning all.

Had trouble with my wireless interface. Kept cutting out on me, just got a new one so hopefully I will have consistent internet access.

Thumb is actually doing fairly well. It is still twice the size of my other thumb but I can now put a small amount of pressure on it. The knuckle still feels pretty bruised though.

anybody ever used mimosa for smoking? I've seen mixed reviews but don't wanna ruin a chunk of meat if its not.
oh yeah! good morning to you all.

I don't think I'd try mimosa?

I have a buddy that is a an award winning BBQ cook. http://naamansbbq.com/ Just recently asked him what wood he uses, he said "Oak and nothing else". I asked about Hickory and he said " makes the meat too biter for his taste".

Also my favorite smoked sausage is from Bradly's country store in North Florida. I was down there a couple months ago and wanted to check out their smoker, yes I large pile of Oak setting there. They've been smoking meats for a 100 years.

I don't think I'd try mimosa?

I have a buddy that is a an award winning BBQ cook. http://naamansbbq.com/ Just recently asked him what wood he uses, he said "Oak and nothing else". I asked about Hickory and he said " makes the meat too biter for his taste".

Also my favorite smoked sausage is from Bradly's country store in North Florida. I was down there a couple months ago and wanted to check out their smoker, yes I large pile of Oak setting there. They've been smoking meats for a 100 years.
Oak is one of my favorites..
Dry Hickory without bark is good too, but add bark to the mix and it gets bitter..
Cherry too strong..
Pecan OK without bark of course.
Maple good..
Green wood is not good...
Get this... The wood fired pizza guys in KC like Oak and Ash exclusively...
Go figure..

This sounds insane, but we used western red cedar once making jerky with Cavenders. Couldn't eat it the first day, fight over it the second.

Oak is one of my favorites..
Dry Hickory without bark is good too, but add bark to the mix and it gets bitter..
Cherry too strong..
Pecan OK without bark of course.
Maple good..
Green wood is not good...
Get this... The wood fired pizza guys in KC like Oak and Ash exclusively...
Go figure..
Matt, those pork butts we had at your place were sure good!

I grew up in NE Iowa and last time I was home talked to my dad about the meat I smoke and the different types of wood I
have tried.
Now keep in mind my dad is 80 years old and grew up on the farm in IA also and he told of smoking meat when
he was a little kid, so I said what kind of wood did you use? You didn't have a tree in sight of your farm let alone an Oak or
Hickory tree!
Without hesitation he said "Corn cobs" It's all we had and it worked good and the meat tasted great!
Good Luck finding corn cobs now, I haven't seen anybody pick corn in years.....other than seed corn which is still picked
in ear form and processed at the plant.

Matt, those pork butts we had at your place were sure good!
2 year old Hickory/Oak mix
No bark!!!
Bark is evil...

I've cooked over corn cobs, white hot! but never smoked anything with em'..
That's interesting..
Guess the early settlers would cook their beans over a fire made with Buffalo poo, so......

2 year old Hickory/Oak mix
No bark!!!
Bark is evil...

I've cooked over corn cobs, white hot! but never smoked anything with em'..
That's interesting..
Guess the early settlers would cook their beans over a fire made with Buffalo poo, so......
I wonder what poo bbq would be like???
im glad we have wood!!!

Back