Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a nice day, out in the shed today for the first time in days! Playing with the XL12 I just got together, I have decided to machine two holes through the flywheel to adjust the timing easier than taking it off, any thoughts on this?
On to the SXL till I get back to the shop, giving it the opportunity to breath better I'm hoping.image.jpg

Such a nice day, out in the shed today for the first time in days! Playing with the XL12 I just got together, I have decided to machine two holes through the flywheel to adjust the timiming easier than taking it off, any thoughts on this?
On to the SXL till I get back to the shop, giving it the opportunity to breath better I'm hoping.View attachment 417013

I don't see why machining 2 holes would hurt. Won't know unless you try it. If it doesn't, I've got a flywheel I can send you. ;)

Picture 033.jpg Picture 033.jpg
Woo Hoo! How's she look all cleaned up?
Here it is after some cleaning. Most of the cleaning was inside, under the recoil and such. A good 1/4 inch of sawdust all inside. Double images, nuts. Can't get the top view to load, but looks good, too.

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 10
Looks awesome. I made it down to the garage for a bit today to try and take a little better estimate of my basket cases. The 026 that I have down there has the holes stripped on the tank/handle assembly where it mounts to the crank case. Guess I'm going to have find something with an over sized thread so that I can mount it back up. Any suggestions? The tank and handle are in pretty good shape aside from that.

Still need to get some cleaner for the parts tank. I'm leaning towards 5 gallons of Purple Power diluted with water to make 10 gallons.

Looks awesome. I made it down to the garage for a bit today to try and take a little better estimate of my basket cases. The 026 that I have down there has the holes stripped on the tank/handle assembly where it mounts to the crank case. Guess I'm going to have find something with an over sized thread so that I can mount it back up. Any suggestions? The tank and handle are in pretty good shape aside from that.

Still need to get some cleaner for the parts tank. I'm leaning towards 5 gallons of Purple Power diluted with water to make 10 gallons.

That's what I use, mixed 50/50. Does a nice job, then rinse with water.
I worked on a REALLY beat up 011 a few years back for a friend. I swear every bolt in that thing was stripped. Wound up tapping to the next size up. Ran good when I gave it back to him, but said no guarantees. It might shake itself to pieces. I guess he's still got it.

The guy that had this one before me tightened the screws so tight that he basically lifted the threads out of the plastic. They came out looking like a plastic spring and left a smooth hole.

The guy that had this one before me tightened the screws so tight that he basically lifted the threads out of the plastic. They came out looking like a plastic spring and left a smooth hole.
I think I understand the situation. The factory has a blank hole slightly smaller than the screw. The screw is a wide thread?, that cuts it's own thread in the plastic. Overtightening can pull the threads. I've found when putting screws back in these things, to turn the screw backwards until I feel the threads line up. You'll feel the screw drop into position. Then go ahead and run it down into the hole. This way you're not cutting a second set of threads, which weakens the structure.
I'm not really sure, but could you take a plastic rod and glue into the hole? After the glue sets up, redrill a hole and rethread the screw into it? Maybe use a product called SealAll. Very good stuff and dries somewhat flexible, and is clear.
Might work, might not. But could be an avenue of approach.

Back