Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is situated very near a very LEAKY french door... Some MENSA candidate installed in on the North side of my house, with a pasture and tree row that act like a North wind funnel to the door...:mad2: I have though about plumbing in a fresh (Cold) air line in from the wall chase that it butts up against... There's already a dryer vent going through there anyway.

I'm a bit late with it, but hope you all had a merry Christmas. Sorry I've been such a stranger this year, hopefully I can be more social in 2013!:msp_smile:

Has anyone on here had dealings with Security Internet Services? They say they are 20 times faster than HughesNet and no overages. I'm sick and tired of this old slow dialup. I could live with the $60 dollars a month if the service is there. I hear pro's and con's on other services.

What PDQ said and put an exterior air intake snorkel on that stove if you can. You wouldn't believe what a difference it makes.:msp_ohmy:

:agree2:

All the air inside your home that goes into your firebox and up the flue MUST be replaced with cold air from outside...BRRR! Then, you are burning more wood, trying to heat up the cold air coming into the house to keep the fire burning. It's a vicious circle.

Effectively, that wood stove is a giant vacuum; pumping your warm interior air up the flue and putting a mild vacuum on the entire inside of the house. That cold air WILL come inside, because the draft pressure is sucking it into your home.

Give your stove a direct "outside air" vent, and it will do two things:
1. It will start easier with a reduced tendency to smoke inside the building and it will have better "draft". This is particularly important if your house is very tight. Leaky houses don't notice this improvement as much.
2. The overall heat in the house will be dramatically improved, mostly in the coldest spots that have the most drafty area. Those french doors come to mind...

When it is below 10° outside, I must open a window in my basement in order to force the smoke up the chimney. You see, my house is pretty tight and I didn't have the foresight to employ the "outside air" option on my fireplace insert. Someday, when I take that 450lb behemoth out to service it, I will fix that problem.

All the air inside your home that goes into your firebox and up the flue MUST be replaced with cold air from outside...BRRR! Then, you are burning more wood, trying to heat up the cold air coming into the house to keep the fire burning. It's a vicious circle.

Effectively, that wood stove is a giant vacuum; pumping your warm interior air up the flue and putting a mild vacuum on the entire inside of the house. That cold air WILL come inside, because the draft pressure is sucking it into your home.

1. It will start easier with a reduced tendency to smoke inside the building and it will have better "draft". This is particularly important if your house is very tight. Leaky houses don't notice this improvement as much.
2. The overall heat in the house will be dramatically improved, mostly in the coldest spots that have the most drafty area. Those french doors come to mind...

When it is below 10° outside, I must open a window in my basement in order to force the smoke up the chimney. You see, my house is pretty tight and I didn't have the foresight to employ the "outside air" option on my fireplace insert. Someday, when I take that 450lb behemoth out to service it, I will fix that problem.

Hmmmmm I need to figure out a way to do that.:msp_confused:

hoping all yalls had a great Christmas. i know i did.
we finally have an empty house. couldn't even get near the puter since it resides in one of the overflow beddingdown rooms. ah! back to some peace and tranquility. always love having my kids and grandkids around but always glad when they're gone too.
wait! what's that sound? oh, silence. golden. need the rest.
God's blessings on all of yas for the next year.

I there more snow in the forcast? Im getting conflicting reports. Stoopid weather men cant make up their minds. PFTTTTT.

Thanks for the info Paul, I was waffling on getting an OAK with my new stove next month, your explanation put me over the top. I'll definitely be putting one in.

Hey to all you rebs and everyone else also. Hope you had a big time Christmas and are planning a huge New Year as well. Saw safe.

Thanks for the info Paul, I was waffling on getting an OAK with my new stove next month, your explanation put me over the top. I'll definitely be putting one in.

I been eyeballing that wood stove of mine for 2 years, trying to figure out how to get my combustion air from outside...

I been eyeballing that wood stove of mine for 2 years, trying to figure out how to get my combustion air from outside...

Mine will be simple, right next to an outside wall. Just remove a little insulation above the block basement wall, hole saw to the exterior wall and run it down the wall and hook to the stove. I know there's guys on the firewood section that just bring a piece of PVC from outside to somewhere close to the stove, with a trap at the end to (hopefully) stop airflow when it's not needed.

Latest posts

Back