Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
357xp is just a very nice firewood saw, zippy too.

But it needs to be ported and done right to keep up with a 562xp...

I have one; it is my favorite ground saw. It's way more than a zippy firewood saw, it's everything you want to be holding when you aren't in a tree or looking at some really big wood.

Except, of course, for the occasional chainsaw nut that doesn't like an excellent "stock" saw.

I have one; it is my favorite ground saw. It's way more than a zippy firewood saw, it's everything you want to be holding when you aren't in a tree or looking at some really big wood.

Except, of course, for the occasional chainsaw nut that doesn't like an excellent "stock" saw.

Oh I like my 357 a lot!!! Hedgerow as been after mine for a while now . :msp_biggrin:

But it's replacement, the 562xp is faster in the cut and smoother. No better though.

Oh I like my 357 a lot!!! Hedgerow as been after mine for a while now . :msp_biggrin:

But it's replacement, the 562xp is faster in the cut and smoother. No better though.

I've always wanted a 357 :mad: but I can't even find a dead one around here.

Hedge I got a question about spraying the garden. After you spray do you let it wilt down,then till I have never done this and need to. I have a lot of weeds in the garden spot this year well I guess I almost always have weeds in the garden.

Made some mods to the splitter... Working out well...
The tall wedge and pusher have been very handy from the start...
I can split 2 smaller rounds at once... Now if only the operator were faster and more productive...:msp_rolleyes:

attachment.php

With a piece like the one that's in it, I can get 9 splits in 4 cycles...
I need a SS to go with this thing...

I sure need to finish modding my ole splitter. Making a 4/Way attachment for it.:clap:

Hedge I got a question about spraying the garden. After you spray do you let it wilt down,then till I have never done this and need to. I have a lot of weeds in the garden spot this year well I guess I almost always have weeds in the garden.

I let it wilt to complete brown...
Then open small strips to set plants and seeds...
That leaves the dead vegetation as a mulch...

I sure need to finish modding my ole splitter. Making a 4/Way attachment for it.:clap:

That slot behind the wedge is for drop in 4 and 6 way wedges..
I don't use them very often... Sorta need decent wood for them to work right..
That seems pretty tough to find around here...

I spray my garden twice a year. Before planting, then later in the season before the plants get to big. I spray while the kid puts a coffee can or 5 gal bucket over the plants. Just don't do it on a windy day! :)

I spray my garden twice a year. Before planting, then later in the season before the plants get to big. I spray while the kid puts a coffee can or 5 gal bucket over the plants. Just don't do it on a windy day! :)

I used to run the tiller a lot, but the more I tilled, the harder the dirt seemed to get. (Gumbo here)
So once every couple years, I'll rip it with the field cultivator now. Spray in the off years... Then I put straw between the rows... I hate weeds...:msp_angry:
But they sure seem to like my garden!!!

I can grow some nice weeds.Thanks for the tips, I didnt know if you had to remove the dead weeds or not.We put 2 or 3 layers of newspaper down,then cover with straw.Our friend uses old carpet.I like the idea of the bucket over the plants.Thanks again.

I can grow some nice weeds.Thanks for the tips, I didnt know if you had to remove the dead weeds or not.We put 2 or 3 layers of newspaper down,then cover with straw.Our friend uses old carpet.I like the idea of the bucket over the plants.Thanks again.

Removing the dead weeds has one advantage: you are likely to be removing some of the seeds, thereby reducing future infestation. Layering with various products works well, but almost anything that works to keep weeds out also interferes with water and air penetration.

I'm pretty much an expert at keeping weeds out of a landscape, but I don't know anything that really works too well in a garden. There are too many limitations on chemical use, and most folks don't like to take chances. Even roundup is said to have residual effects in the soil, despite claims to the contrary. I have even heard people complain about the ink from newspaper adversely damaging the soil for a garden, so I couldn't recommend that as a garden weed control method. I'm pretty sure rolled paper like butcher paper or auto-body paper might work real well, without the stigma of "chemicals" from the ink. Depending on your row width, the rolled papers might be a real labor saver too.

I suspect the carpet might work good; I never heard of that before. I'll have to give that a try someday.

Removing the dead weeds has one advantage: you are likely to be removing some of the seeds, thereby reducing future infestation. Layering with various products works well, but almost anything that works to keep weeds out also interferes with water and air penetration.

I'm pretty much an expert at keeping weeds out of a landscape, but I don't know anything that really works too well in a garden. There are too many limitations on chemical use, and most folks don't like to take chances. Even roundup is said to have residual effects in the soil, despite claims to the contrary. I have even heard people complain about the ink from newspaper adversely damaging the soil for a garden, so I couldn't recommend that as a garden weed control method. I'm pretty sure rolled paper like butcher paper or auto-body paper might work real well, without the stigma of "chemicals" from the ink. Depending on your row width, the rolled papers might be a real labor saver too.

I suspect the carpet might work good; I never heard of that before. I'll have to give that a try someday.

I tried the carpet one, helps with the grass and weeds but it is a pain to get it up for the next season plowing tilling. The grass roots still grow into it we ended up using a log chain and tractor to get it all up.

I just got Levi goin on the tractor... Working bean ground today...
Corn ain't happening this year...:msp_angry:

They have been planting corn balls to the wall around here the last few days. With those 24 row planters,they can cover a lot of ground in a hurry.

I tried the carpet one, helps with the grass and weeds but it is a pain to get it up for the next season plowing tilling. The grass roots still grow into it we ended up using a log chain and tractor to get it all up.

No need to pull the carpet up just lay a new piece over it when it get's rotten as far as the tilling just till by hand each place you want a plant to go. We would just cut three side of a square everywhere we wanted a plant then fold the flap under that way you could pull the flat back up and have that spot covered if you didn't want something there the next year carpet usually last 2-3 years

No need to pull the carpet up just lay a new piece over it when it get's rotten as far as the tilling just till by hand each place you want a plant to go. We would just cut three side of a square everywhere we wanted a plant then fold the flap under that way you could pull the flat back up and have that spot covered if you didn't want something there the next year carpet usually last 2-3 years

Lisa put carpet in the flower bed this year...
Then rocks over the top..
Hope it works...

My friend said carpet is the way to go.He never said anything about hard to get up,he said he rolled it up and reuses it.There is a guy a little west of me that has corn 3 or 4 inches tall.I dont know how he managed that.

Back