Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need some advise on cutting a tree with a large root ball. Is there any special way to cut the trunk near the base so I don't kill myself?
Bore through the trunk at the base, cutting the heart out. Leave small, real wood triggers at the top and bottom, and carefully snip them at arms length, being ready to back out quickly. When boring the heart out, watch and feel for any twisting the trunk and rootball may try to do, as it can pinch your saw.

Lol, them videos are funny to see the tree stand up and launch the idiot cutting it off...
After the Joplin tornado, we were taking out an up rooted willow tree with a giant root ball..
The root ball was so heavy and fresh, we whittled away at the top till it was so light, the trunk finally stood back up into the root hole..!!
Then I dropped the stick in the conventional manner..

I felt real smart right then..
But it was a passing moment.

I am going to do that 61 272 conv. What about H L supplies hyway cylinder? are they any good,Is the decomp. a pipe tap thread?
Highway is generally good.
On the de comp, I don't think they're pipe thread, but more of a 1-1 type.
Though the large grease zirks will thread into the hole..
Go figure.

You can buy the decompression valve next to nothing. But I've heard that on the 61 case , decomp. Valve gets in the way of the the chainbreak. Just what I heard a few other builders say.

Cheap, asian. $22.oo amazon prime . Tilly carb from 272.im going to see how she runs. Then change it to a better cyl.

Is this tree down already?
Recent blowdown?

Yes. The tree (pin oak) recently blew over on a house. Feel sorry for the homeowner,,,,bad deal. My buddies with the tree service got the tree off the house with a crane. I get the wood. I went and surveyed the situation and noticed the rootball with about 15-20' of the trunk. I briefly talked to the homeowner and said to "be careful with the base, it will stand back up". He said he used to cut a little wood.

Bore through the trunk at the base, cutting the heart out. Leave small, real wood triggers at the top and bottom, and carefully snip them at arms length, being ready to back out quickly. When boring the heart out, watch and feel for any twisting the trunk and rootball may try to do, as it can pinch your saw.

Which one do you snip first? I am assuming the top, to open up the cut. Snipping the bottom first could pinch the bar.

Back