old days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
I was looking through some nice photos from the old days of logging and came across this great picture that the Vanatta Bros had posted.

Thats incredible! To think they did that without all the fancy machinery we have today. I wonder how many guys got squashed moving that stuff around.

There are some amazing stories on the VanNatta Bros. site. Yes, guys got crushed, drowned, etc. One story stands out in my mind: After all the trees were cut that could easily be rolled or dragged into nearby rivers, the loggers brought steam powered winches into the woods. They called them donkeys. They would use a horse or human (?) to drag the cable out to the trees, set all the chokers, and then the "whistle punk" would sound the whistle and the donkey puncher would crank up the spool. In the story I read, the whistle punk was a 9 year old boy. The article stated that the surest way to become a logging fatality was to not hear the whistle and get in the way of the tensioning cable as the donkey began tighening it up to start dragging in a turn of logs. Can you imagine that! You're dead tired, stumbling back to the camp after a day of bucking gigantic logs and you don't hear the whistle and all of a sudden this 3/4 wire rope tensions up underneath you and severs your leg or whacks you in head. Downright scary, and these guys worked for peanuts, too.

MasterBlaster...

Back in those days, I'm not sure if OSHA would have had fun with them.

I think the loggers would have had fun with OSHA.

After seeing photos of 2 loggers in position to manually saw a giant sequioa, I'm guessing those guys were built like steel.

Reminds me of the movie the kid's watched yesterday, I think the title is The Run Down with that man Rock.

Ever seen it? The part where the little steely guys start wailing on him and juggling him with kicks?

By the way, It's interesting that that Rock guy makes a decent actor. And that particular movie is fairly entertaining too.

Latest posts

Back