Old Hickory tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
Tomorrow I'm gonna try to mill up a hickory that was uprooted about three years ago. At that time, I removed all of the canopy, but am only now gonna attempt to cut it up. The tree still has roots, and it is not touching the ground, so I'm hoping for the best. I'll try to get some pics once i'm done. Any special suggestions for dealing with hickory. Does it tend to twist, check or otherwise more than other types of trees?
Thanks
Brian

Hi all,
Tomorrow I'm gonna try to mill up a hickory that was uprooted about three years ago. At that time, I removed all of the canopy, but am only now gonna attempt to cut it up. The tree still has roots, and it is not touching the ground, so I'm hoping for the best. I'll try to get some pics once i'm done. Any special suggestions for dealing with hickory. Does it tend to twist, check or otherwise more than other types of trees?
Thanks
Brian
I have to say it was one of the toughest hardest trees I have ever milled. Since yours is even a few years old, it might be even harder (because it might be a bit dryer). Sharp chain and lots of patience.;)

Hi all,
Thanks
Brian

Don't forget to take pics for us.....Thx in advance.

Well,
I went out yesterday to work on the hickory. My help bailed on me, so I went at it alone. I pretty much just made up some small cants from the smaller logs with my Haddon Lumbermaker. I'll go back and get into the main trunk when I have more time, and some help. This was the first time I've used the Haddon and it has three set screws to hold it onto the bar. The clamp moved, a brand new chain ended up on the lumbermaker and is now toast. I guess I'll drill the bar and bolt on for next time. Sorry no pics yet. I was at it alone. I'll get pics when I go at it again.

Ohhh, the small logs that I was doing up yesterday made up 6x6 and 8x8 cants. The main trunk is about 20 inches diameter with two nice crotches. I promise pics when I get to those.

How was it to cut, any bugs or spalt?? Bugs tend to eat hickory first around here. Spalts beautifully though.

Even though the tree was uprooted 4 years ago, and the canopy removed, it still appeared to be alive. Absolutely no Rot, there were new suckers coming up off of it. What I saw still seemed perfect. I did see that It checks quickly. I loaded everthing up and drove it in a pickup about 65 miles and it already had one really large check that wasn't there before. We unloaded the logs and cants and then proceded to archorseal the ends. We'll get to them in a week or two. Hopefully get up and cut up the main stuff in within a month or so. In the spring, I'll take it all to a kiln, so I can use it to make some stuff this summer.

Back