old homelite chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was given an xl 12" saw with automatic oiler.. What can you tell me about this saw?? It runs better than my newer craftsman.. Also the little thing on the end of the compression line in the oil tank, the check valve, Where can I purchase a new one of these? Mine is lost. Glad I figured out why it was smoking so bad..:)Thanks again.. Snapper...

Well it has a 1.6 cu in engine if it is not one of the newer models. Is there a gold/brass tube still in the end of you pressure line for the check valve? If not pour out the oil & look for it in the bottom of the tank. For $1.50 I'll mail you a check valve. Check the rubber fuel & oil lines to insure that they are not getting too old & soft. Change the air filter as needed and always empty the fuel tank if the saw is not going to be used for a month or more.
Be sure the oil tank cap is sealed so as to not loose the pressure that oils the chain/bar.

On the one way valve on the compression line, Will the rubber version out of a fuel cap work??
I went ahead and put it in the line so I will see if it works.. I was just hoping some one would know for sure..

Thanks again snapper

The check valve is the same...

About the 360 oiler...I need to know why it is not working...
Pull the cartridge out after you remove the pin/screw from in front of the clutch. Use a long # 10 screw to thread into the center...

So just putting it in the end of the rubber hose it ought to stay there and function properly, Right?? So all the brass tube does is hold the valve and make it easier to insert into the rubber hose.. Just making sure I did it right because I would hate to ruin my new saw.. Thanks again

Leave about a 1/16" of the tube showing so that the pressure can be relieved when you shut the motor off...otherwise it will keep pushing the oil out and make a mess.

Any idea what size file this chain takes?? It looks to be the factory chain!! It doen't have any anti-kick things on the chain. Just one tooth after the other.. The chain is still in great shape, has plenty of metal left on the teeth. I was thinking a 5/32 (i think that is the size) size file. I have been using a 7/32 on my old worn out craftsman chain with pretty good results.. So what size file should I use?? And also I have a clamp on type hand sharpener that works real well. You set the angles and it holds the file there and you just push it back and forth. But I forgot what angles to set it on.. Any ideas?? Thanks again..

One more question... My 18" craftsman crapped out yesterday. Could I put a 14" bar on this saw with out over working it?? I can't afford a new saw right now, so if a 14 would fit it would get me by... Thanks Again...

The little XL will handle up to a 16" if used primarily for 'trimming' but a 14" power tip bar should be good for all around sawing.

So, will these bar chain combos you find at lowes or home depot, Will one of these fit?? Or do I need to go to a saw shop??? What about drive link?? are there different styles?? Thanks so much BillW!!! Your help is greatly appreciated!! Snapper..

Older 10" Homelite Chainsaw

I need a 10" chainsaw bar for a very old Homelite chainsaw. There's a round hole at the end of the slot and ONE circular hole above it. The tip of the bar looks to have what appears to be four rivets. The paint is worn off the saw so I can't determine the model. Can anyone recommend a site where I can purchase one??? Many thanks.
Bill

I need a 10" chainsaw bar for a very old Homelite chainsaw. There's a round hole at the end of the slot and ONE circular hole above it. The tip of the bar looks to have what appears to be four rivets. The paint is worn off the saw so I can't determine the model. Can anyone recommend a site where I can purchase one??? Many thanks.
Bill

Could we have some pictures?

So, will these bar chain combos you find at lowes or home depot, Will one of these fit?? Or do I need to go to a saw shop??? What about drive link?? are there different styles?? Thanks so much BillW!!! Your help is greatly appreciated!! Snapper..

Hey Snapper, your saw should be set up for low profile 3/8 (.375) pitch chain. The bar style is different than the newer ones sold at Home Depot, etc... Ebay is a good place to look for bars, both used and new, but definitely check yuor local shops to compare prices. The 12" bar needs a 48 dl chain (oregon S48 or similiar from another brand), a 14" bar takes 53 dl and a 16" takes 59 dl. Personally, I'd stay away from a 16" on that particular saw because 1.6 cu. in. isn't very big and you'll end up working it way too hard. As for the check valve tube, if it's fallen off once, it probably will again, so maybe you should look at tearing the saw down to replace the rubber lines as BillW suggested. I've worked on and run a lot of these saws and if taken care of, they'll last a really long time!

Back