Old Homelite Super XL Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have picked up an old blue/white Super XL and I would like to know the year of manufacture by the serial number. I have done a search and found the Homelite Tech Bulletin that explains their code but it doesn't seem to work with the saw as it does not go back into the 60's. This saw I am guessing is from the early 60's as it has the odd Champion spark plug that has the small recessed pin that the plug wire fits into. On the clutch cover is says " world's lightest direct drive with super power". The serial number is P2121338, she has spark and will hit when primed so I think I can make her go. Love the old Homelites! It is always a thrill to here them bark and cough to life after years and years of non-use and neglect. Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

View attachment 255499

heck, I don't make sense of it either.

b/4 the 9digit was the 8digit, but had no letters, (according to this)

could that "p" be a messed up number?

Mine sounds the same except for the "super power" - it's a '70, I believe

I hope you're priming it with premix

luck,greg

Actually Greg the P is stamped in a box that is separate from and in front of the digits. I prime with carb cleaner or mix, not starting fluid. I saw an old magazine add from the early sixties that spoke of Homelite's "Super Power" whatever that is so that is one thing I am basing my guess of age on, along with the funky Champion plug

Steve

Back