Old Homelite Super XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
I inherited an older Homelite Super XL (Blue/white). The model tag is missing and the body of the saw has some significant wear. I did find a number (59637C or 596370) stamped on the case under the chain cover to the bottom right of the sprocket...I have doubts that this will help. Anyone know what year this is? '67/'68? It has the thumb pump so I'm assuming it's a non-auto.
SuperXL-1-1920x1080.jpg

Anyway, the saw ran great the last time I used it, however the chain started slipping under load. I thought it may have been the clutch but when I took off bar today I saw that the chain was riding up out of the sprocket and that there was about 1/8" of play where the sprocket could shift between the nut and the clutch cover. Is this normal? Outside of the chain riding just up off the sprocket, it looks like the sprocket teeth are fine (some minor gouging on the flat part.
SuperXL-2-X3.jpg

SuperXL-3-1920x1080.jpg

Any info would be appreciated. I'm handy but not experienced working on saws.

Great old firewood saw you've got there.

That's a replaceable rim drive chain sprocket, and it's past well worn out, probably should have been replaced 15 years ago, LOL. It is designed to move in & out, and so it self aligns to the bar tail.

Standard 7 tooth 3/8" pitch rim I'll bet, Oregon brand #68210 if you take it off and check the part number cast on the side.

Pull the spark plug out and stuff a short piece of starter rope down though the plug hole to keep the crank from turning when you go to take that special "Flex-Loc" nut off.

I can't remember for sure if that's a left handed nut, but I think it is.

Thanks much hotshot,
I took the sprocket off, the only thing stamped was on the frontside (outer side away from clutch) which looks like "3/8 - 7"...
SuperXL-4-XL.jpg
SuperXL-6-XL.jpg
SuperXL-5-XL.jpg

Also, does this look worn enough to create problems/chain slippage?? Honestly, the photo looks worse than it appears to be...at least I think so, not sure how sensitive the chain is to sprocket wear...
SuperXL-7-XL.jpg

Lastly, I know the bearing should be re-greased but I presume that is the only part that gets grease, this washer since it comes off the clutch stay dry correct?
SuperXL-8-XL.jpg

Thanks for the help y'all!

That rim can be replaced ... you have it off and they're cheap ($4) at your local shop.

Yes, put the thickest grease you have on that bearing that goes inside the drum .... I got mine from a transmission in a wringer washer from the 60s.

Lastly, the clutch and washer do stay dry.

Good luck!

Sorry for the delayed reply, I'm only on AS a few times a week. Yes, that's the right one, I also thought they were going
for two for $ 10 delivered on FleaBay.

You really should post a close up pic of your chain drivers (inside part of the chain), because I'll bet they
are worn too.

Probably need to degrease the crud from inside the drum & from the shoes, you can use emery strips to take off rust or
corrosion.

You don't want any lube or bar oil on either of those surfaces.

There is a Homelite only section in the "Chainsaw Stickies" with a lot if information in it.

Latest posts

Back