Old Mac 250 got work done...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promac850

formerly promac610
Reaction score
Well, I woke up to find a note on the door from pops. Turned out one of our trees broke in half during a pretty wicked storm last night. So I had some work to do.

As for pics of the fallen tree half before it got cut up, long story short, there was a technical difficulty that did not allow the camera to take pics. However, here are a few pics that show the remains after cutting the limbs off. I used the 250 for this job. Yes, I limbed out the tree with the 250. My arms felt a little tired at first, but quickly got used to it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still a little more clean up to do yet, but only about 15% of the metric crap ton of wood that was on the ground.

The story behind this tree is that 20 some years ago, it got hit by lightning right down the middle and both halves were almost on the ground. My neighbor and the previous resident of this house bolted the tree back together, and it healed and lived for quite some time. Obviously some of the tree rotted out and literally became soil for the branches to root into.

It held up, until last night... it looks like a strong wind from the north finished off this tree which is dry, but alive, for good. The other half still stands, we're going to take it out soon, though. It's a danger to the power lines a little north of it and possibly little white shed you see in the background.

So far, three heaping loads of small branches with leaves (mostly 1" or less) to the big burn pile (that's gonna be a hell of a bonfire when we light it up this winter... there are more seasoned branches from the trees my neighbor took out of his yard last year) and one truck load of bigger branches, and a few pretty good sized rounds. The Ranger did the hauling work. Each of those heaping branch hauls were piled up about 2 feet over the top of the cab, some branches hanging over the bed sides as well.

Ah, the fun I had with that old saw...

too bad about that ol' tree

Good excercize, tho'

What'er the temps while you're cutting/

I really don't like working hard outside unless it's 50 - 70deg - Did it for 45years, I'm done unless it's important like this.

P.S. you know where the bolt(s) is/are?

luck,greg

too bad about that ol' tree

Good excercize, tho'

What'er the temps while you're cutting/

I really don't like working hard outside unless it's 50 - 70deg - Did it for 45years, I'm done unless it's important like this.

P.S. you know where the bolt(s) is/are?

luck,greg

It was about 90 degrees, but there was some shade and a nice breeze. Drank about 12 bottles of water. Bought a large Frosty from Weenie's (Wendy's, lol) and ate that as part of my lunch. Total sweat equity invested so far: about 6 hours.

Yes... there are two bolts, and I will be dang sure to positively locate them before cutting that last big piece up. Those bolts would be merciless on any saw chain. It wouldn't matter if it was carbide chain or not...

We are going to see if the insurance company will cover most or all of the cost of having a decently matured tree (25' or so) brought in with a tree spade. We'll see. If we can't get one hauled in with some help from insurance, we'll plant one there. This tree provided good shade and was nice to mow under...

Yes... there are two bolts, and I will be dang sure to positively locate them before cutting that last big piece up. Those bolts would be merciless on any saw chain. It wouldn't matter if it was carbide chain or not...

Now, Kyle, if you had that 790 running right and used it, them little old bolts wouldn't have been even a hiccup. :msp_rolleyes: Ron

Very nice to see the old saws put to work from time to time. Good for you Kyle. I remember when my only saw was a worn out 200, no interest in going back to those days.

Mark

I'll be using old saws for quite some time...

That 200 must've been painfully slow and weak if the worn out you're talking about involves the piston rings...

I love this 250, weighs the same as the 610 but twice the power. (yeah, I like the cinder blocks, lol. The one I have will receive some port work and new piston rings when I get around to tearing it apart to clean it and fix the bar oil tank leak)

I was intending to use the 850, but it is blowing white smoke again... otherwise it runs good. I haven't figured out if it is bar oil or if it's residual mix from flooding the cylinder, from sitting flat on the floor for a while. Might work on that tomorrow if I have enough time.

I'm jealous Kyle!

Nature handed you quite the nice present!

Looked like fun! :rock:

Oh it was fun. Sometimes hard work is fun, believe it or not.

Still not quite done yet, might have some footage for you Mac and other old saw crazies... :cheers:

I ran over a maple seedling with the lawnmower......

Should've left it alone... we got a nice maple that we moved to a different spot in the yard... it was growing right next to the fence. Now it's getting pretty good sized for only have started sprouting about 4 years back. It's already almost 20 feet tall, about 5" in diameter. Someday...

Back to work. Some buddies of me and my pops were here yesterday and dropped the rest of the tree. There's a heat wave for the next couple days, so I am going out there now to do as much as possible before it gets too frigging hot. Yep, the 250 is hired for the job again.

The old 250 is an underrated chainsaw, with a 24" bar it won't care if you are sawing pine or oak.
Sure it has some heft to it, it is built of metal and was made to last a couple lifetimes.
Most of the complaints about weight, noise and vibes are from guys who have a limited experience range.
In 1964 they sold for $125.00, in today's funny money, that would be over $900.00.

So far, getting close to done. Got the brush piles laying around, and until a few minutes ago, was working on getting the firewood branches and stuff separated from the brush. Took me 35-40 minutes at the most to cut all of the branches off of the limbs. Then the last of the cutting will be done on the remaining logs that once were huge limbs. ~18" in diameter at the base for both of the limbs. I will leave the remaining trunk for the 790 and a cooler day.

Will post pics later. Resting right now due to the high temps.

Kyle you're a good man. Great to see a 250 out snorting even if it is in soft maple. Neighbor of mine has a Maple that the center rotted out and he filled it with scrap concrete chunks from his driveway. The outer eight to ten inches all the way around is all that holds this big Maple from falling. The day it falls and he comes callin to help saw it up is the day I'm gonna say, "only if we use your saws". And I stand about 25 feet away and say, "told ya so"!

:rock:

Is that part of the bolt in pictures 4 and 5? Nice work BTW.

Is that part of the bolt in pictures 4 and 5? Nice work BTW.

Yep, I'll get a pic of the other bolt up later as well. It's still in the trunk that I will later cut off. You can barely see it. Completely grown over, was visible 10 years ago. Simply amazing and is a testament to know the trees on your property. And understand that someday, whether you wish to or not, you might run into something you wish wasn't there...

That bolt is 1" It took the biggest crescent wrench I had to unthread the nut since it is such a big frigging nut. The bolt is a little loose, so I should be able to drive it out once I find the other side of it and take the nut, washers, and plate off, which the tree grew over...

You might think the bolts would rust out, but trust me, they won't rust much. I'll post a pic that clearly shows most of the bolt in pics 4 and 5... I have since removed that chunk of roots and dirt/compost.

Thanks Sprintcar... as for your neighbor, what an idiot. However, I have an idea... maybe rent one of those ICS concrete chain saws? Obviously, you'd make the idiot pay for the rental fees.

I've only got the chance to run my 250 once. It came with .404 chain. It might take me awhile to get used to the manual oiler again.

I've only got the chance to run my 250 once. It came with .404 chain. It might take me awhile to get used to the manual oiler again.

Oh, you'll like it. Manual oiler tip... push the button a couple times at the start of a big cut, once or twice in the middle, and once at the end. Limbing, just push it every now and then, sometimes once, sometimes twice.

The .404" on mine is making nice chips out of this maple... lean on her and let her eat!

Here are the pics, except for the ones of the bolts. Forgot to get those pics. Might remember tomorrow, or maybe not. We'll see.

attachment.php

Taking a drink break... what you don't see is a whole crap ton of brush and branches and stuff to the left, just outside the edge of the picture.

attachment.php

Apparently someone shot me. Yeah, that slightly blubbery guy is me.

attachment.php

Here's a tree frog... he was relocated to a safer place.

attachment.php

Back