Old Manual Oiler (adjustment, repair, replacement)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run Forrest Run

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 1979 craftsman 3.7 ci 18” chainsaw – runs like a Hoss and has great sentimental value to me – so (full disclosure) – I won’t sell it, part it out, or junk it.

Doing my preseason check-ups and adjustments to cut firewood this season and the oiler doesn’t seem to be working right.

It’s the old manual thumb lever type with an adjustable oil flow screw. (I’ve got the screw pegged out to max flow and it doesn’t seem like I’m getting any, (as in zero, nada, zilch), flow at all, but DOES have a tank full of bar oil.)

So, any ideas for adjustment, repair, or replacement of this old oiler?

Thanks in advance.

“Run Forrest Run”

As far as manual oilers go there isn't a whole lot to fowl take the bar and chain off and empty the tank of oil then flush the system with some mix aka 40:1 mix then pull the plunger out and make sure the o rings on the bottom are good on my old homelite there is a small copper tube some are rubber that pressurises the tank to force the oil out the channel so make sure those lines are good then put it all back together and you should have good oil flow.

Thank You "upandcommer"

Great!!!

Thank you for the detailed “how-to” upandcommer. I will get on it when I get a chance today and get back on the thread tonight or tomorrow after I’ve had a chance to work on it.

Thanks again,

- David

“Run Forrest Run”

She was clogged - Many Thanks

A sincere Thank You to “upandcommer” - your advice did the trick - perfect.

She was clogged up but she is working great now.

So, again many thanks, and if you find yourself in Northwest Arkansas – lunch is on me.

- David

“Run Forrest Run”

And Thank You for the welcome “manual” – Great site, Great people, Great Information – What’s not to love???

(I'm faster than white cedar, (barely), have more density than ironwood, (way more according to my wife), and able to buck any stationary softwood with a chainsaw, (if conditions are optimal) - So Run Forrest Run.)

I am glad it did the trick the old manual oilers are really simple things really pump air into the tank thus raising the pressure in the tank with the pickup at the bottom of the tank to flow the oil through the channel there isn;t a whole lot to fowl either
a. you are not pumping air i.e. bad o rings on the piston pump aka thumb plunger
b. the air isn;t reaching the tank i.e. bad hose connection to the tank
and or c. clogged channel to flow the oil through
I am glad your saw is fixed and remember the old ones are the good ones so keep her well lubed and oil her up and she will never treat you wrong she may be overweight compared ot the new plastic fantastics but she will still be here in 20 years.

Latest posts

Back