Old Pioneer, new use..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like too much fun, and fun is one of those things like money and horsepower...

Hi Dennis, I'm groovin' on that motorsicle, I'll pump that over the Cocacola Hwy. with pleasure. Can we attach a winch on that baby?
Kickin ass in Clearwater

Pretty Close

I took a ruler and measured the diameter ratios of the pulleys/sprockets from the pictures and came up with the following approximations:

First reduction = 2.4 : 1
Second reduction = 2.8 : 1
Chain reduction = 4:1

Total reduction is therefore about 27 : 1

Assuming a tire outer diameter of about 32 inches, one revolution of the rear tire would be about 100 inches of distance traveled. For a speed of 30 MPH, the saw would be turning:

(30 mi/1hr)(1hr/60min)(5280 ft/1mi)(12in/1ft)(100in/tire rev)(27)=

8550 RPM

Certainly in the ballpark...and why wouldn't it be?

The ex-blabbermouth

Doug, could you please figure what size sprockets I need on this thing? It only seems to be able to pull about 3mph:confused:

Oh man, look what you've done!!!!!!! Now I have to spend the weekend building one of those! That looks way to fun. Now what if we put a Mac 250 on there or perhaps an 090 for a little more nut.

When I was a kid around 13 I think a few friends and I did something close to that with an old 041 stihl. Cool as all get out! I have been trying to figure out something to do with my old homelite xl 870. Looks like a winner.:D

I see the first reduction as the saw clutch to the upper large pulley. The shaft of this pulley runs to the opposite side and turns another small pulley that drives the large pulley on the bike pedal crank shaft, who's shaft drives through to the little sprocket back on the original side, which drives the rear wheel sprocket. The ratios seem to work out well as far as speed versus RPM goes. I made an estimation of the clutch pulley based on the lead-in angle of the belt behind the clutch drum. How fast does the Pioneer turn for RPM?

Hey Dennis, I'll ride that rig from East to West across the CNR tracks if you hook up a wheel to ride the opposite track. What say we use an 08S powerhead?
John

Latest posts

Back