DBABCOCK HERE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbabcock

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Been perhaps a decade or so since since I last posted here.

Just now found out that my old pal John "Gypo Logger" Lambert had passed back in February. This is devastating news!

Accordingly, like I did with my Art Martin thread almost 20 years ago, I was thinking of doing one with pictures of Gypo in his memory.
Back in the day, we were all most fortunate to have interacted with him on AS. He was truly one-of-a-kind and I was lucky enough to have interacted
with him personally on a few occasions in Canada, California and here at my home in NH.

I'll leave it up to you.

Attachments

• DSC_0385_bw_em.jpg
    DSC_0385_bw_em.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1
Yes Doug!
Hi Mike! Hope all is well with you, Jon and your families out there in Placerville! Man, we all had such a great time out there at your place! Heard that Ken Dunn is gone, which is a shame, too. Don't know about Art Martin.

Hi guys!

Been perhaps a decade or so since since I last posted here.

Just now found out that my old pal John "Gypo Logger" Lambert had passed back in February. This is devastating news!

Accordingly, like I did with my Art Martin thread almost 20 years ago, I was thinking of doing one with pictures of Gypo in his memory.
Back in the day, we were all most fortunate to have interacted with him on AS. He was truly one-of-a-kind and I was lucky enough to have interacted
with him personally on a few occasions in Canada, California and here at my home in NH.

I'll leave it up to you.
Quite a few pictures here. You must have some to add.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/rip-gypo-logger-john-lambert.366121/

In Memory of
Arthur Frederick Martin
November 2, 1928 - November 19, 2012
Obituary

Arthur (Art) Martin of Orangevale passed away on November 19, 2012 in Roseville Kaiser Hospital after a long illness. He was born in Fort Bragg, California on November 2, 1928. He had just celebrated his 84th birthday. His wife, and family were at his side. He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Marita, son David, son Gary (Paula) and daughter (Larry). He had eight grand children and three great-grand children. He was preceded in death by his parents, brother and grandson.

Art was a survivor. Thirty-seven years ago, he was diagnosed with leukemia and given a 10% chance to live from Friday to Monday. He survived five years of chemotherapy to compete in logging shows. He won California ax throw champion twice.

He was a timber faller in Fort Bragg until his wife suggested that he look for a safer job. He took a test for fire departments around Northern California and was hired by the Campbell Fire Department. He was retired from there on a disability. He developed leukemia two years after retirement.

The family moved back to Fort Bragg. While still on chemotherapy, Art competed in the Labor Day Logging show. He won the All Around Title in three decades. He served on the Paul Bunyan Celebration Board for five years. Several articles were written in the Advocate News about his leukemia survival. One Labor Day, the San Francisco KPIX crew was in Fort Bragg and while filming the logging show, they were told Art's story. The program aired in 50 different stations throughout the country. He received calls from various people wanting to know the secret to his survival.

A private family service is to be held in a few weeks and a celebration of his life will be held in the spring.
In lieu of flowers, remembrances can be made to your favorite charity.

Arthur Martin Obituary: View Obituary for Arthur Martin by Reichert's Funeral & Cremation Services, Citrus Heights, CA

In Memory of
Arthur Frederick Martin
November 2, 1928 - November 19, 2012
Obituary

Arthur (Art) Martin of Orangevale passed away on November 19, 2012 in Roseville Kaiser Hospital after a long illness. He was born in Fort Bragg, California on November 2, 1928. He had just celebrated his 84th birthday. His wife, and family were at his side. He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Marita, son David, son Gary (Paula) and daughter (Larry). He had eight grand children and three great-grand children. He was preceded in death by his parents, brother and grandson.

Art was a survivor. Thirty-seven years ago, he was diagnosed with leukemia and given a 10% chance to live from Friday to Monday. He survived five years of chemotherapy to compete in logging shows. He won California ax throw champion twice.

He was a timber faller in Fort Bragg until his wife suggested that he look for a safer job. He took a test for fire departments around Northern California and was hired by the Campbell Fire Department. He was retired from there on a disability. He developed leukemia two years after retirement.

The family moved back to Fort Bragg. While still on chemotherapy, Art competed in the Labor Day Logging show. He won the All Around Title in three decades. He served on the Paul Bunyan Celebration Board for five years. Several articles were written in the Advocate News about his leukemia survival. One Labor Day, the San Francisco KPIX crew was in Fort Bragg and while filming the logging show, they were told Art's story. The program aired in 50 different stations throughout the country. He received calls from various people wanting to know the secret to his survival.

A private family service is to be held in a few weeks and a celebration of his life will be held in the spring.
In lieu of flowers, remembrances can be made to your favorite charity.

Arthur Martin Obituary: View Obituary for Arthur Martin by Reichert's Funeral & Cremation Services, Citrus Heights, CA
He and Marita were fantastic people.! We all learned a lot from Art. RIP, my friend!

Doug how many helicopters do you have now?
Zero, Mike. I went from flying over 400 hours a year to 50 or 60 in the end. Found myself flying my last one simply because I owned it. Owned all of them outright, but at around $600 a week for insurance, inspections, reserve for overhaul and maintenance, not even including actually flying it, $30K per year and it sits in the hangar simply doesn't make sense. Been there and done that. Still fly with my friends and their choppers though, and still enjoy it very much.

Latest posts

Back