New to the forum....hello

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derik Allain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Like the title says I'm new to the forum. I've been reading the forum for a while and taking in all the wonderful info a lot of people seem to have about everything related to chainsaws and such.

IMG_2186.JPG
There is my little arsenal. I got the 660 in the back about a year ago from a guy in Pennsylvania and bought an alaskan chainsaw mill and a 36" bar to slap bigger hardwood for my woodworking. I now have some slabs drying and waiting for me to make some tables and chairs in about another year.

The 200t in the front I got after dropping a bunch of tree's for tie logs for my grandfather. I love the 660 but limbing with it all day did not feel super amazing and I really wanted a because it was balanced nice in my hand.

Now I have an addiction. After cutting smaller stuff with the 200t and doing cord wood wight he 660 I thought it would be nice to have a slightly larger saw then the 200t for limbing and lighter. The 200t works great for clearing smaller junk saplings around the tree to get to the limbs but wanted something a bit bigger to actually get the limbs cut and easier to handle while going through a pile of logs for cord wood. My original thought was get a 441 but after going to my local Stihl shop this morning picking the thing up it didn't feel much lighter then 660. And Bill at "The Chip Chop Shop" told me what I would really like would be the 362 and I think he was spot on. So snagged one and I'm going back up north this weekend to throw about 10 tanks through it.

I love the 660 and lugging it around is not bad, I'm not weak but no need to use a framing hammer for trim work =). So after today getting that 362 I hope that the itch has been scratched and my money can stay in my pocket.

Before choosing Stihl as a brand I talked to my grandfather who has always used Husqvarna his whole life and he gave me the advice of "Choose a brand (either Husqvarna or Stihl)that has a local shop near to you and you can't go wrong". Here in Jersey I just happen to see Stihl's all over the place and after using his and mine I think I'm just a Stihl guy. Both brands I think are amazing.

As for my experience I've been cutting wood since I was 14 years old. Not felling the tree's but cutting it to size for cord wood up in New England (Maine/NH). It's one of those things that I really love doing and just feels so rewarding. I've always heard that the sense of smell is most closely linked to memory and every time I smell fresh cut wood and chainsaw exhaust it reminds me of my grandfather and my early childhood.

I've been living in NJ for the past 10 years. Met my wife here. We have one son and another child due in April and every chance I get I take the 6 hour trip up north to help my aging grandfather cut his wood for the winter and drop some other tree's with him for lumber or what have you.

Well that's my intro blurb and looking forward to read more posts from everyone.

I live in Highland Park. It's right outside of New Brunswick. I work in Newark which is about 35 minutes north of where I live. One of the reasons I got the Alaskan Chainsaw mill was because it's easier to go to a downed tree and slab it where it lays then throw it in the back of my truck. When I'm up north with my grandfather we'll just down some tree's pile them with the tractor until we have enough to have them picked up and milled.

Kind of sick of Jersey also I think in about 2-3 years we're going to be building a house up in Maine on some property we own.

Anybody want to wager how long before the lot of them get ported? I'll take May 2015.

Seriously, welcome aboard. Nice lineup there.

Pretty impressive line up for an intro post! I'd give you high 5 but I don't like finger prints on my screen :D

I live in Highland Park. It's right outside of New Brunswick. I work in Newark which is about 35 minutes north of where I live. One of the reasons I got the Alaskan Chainsaw mill was because it's easier to go to a downed tree and slab it where it lays then throw it in the back of my truck. When I'm up north with my grandfather we'll just down some tree's pile them with the tractor until we have enough to have them picked up and milled.

Kind of sick of Jersey also I think in about 2-3 years we're going to be building a house up in Maine on some property we own.
NW Jersey is a nice option.

I have yet to cut anything with the 362 but the other two are awesome so far. I'm not sure what to expect with the computer controlled carb but I've got an open mind. I'll reserve judgement till I get about 11 tanks through it.

On the matter of porting them out.... How much more awesome does it make the beasts? Is it safe for them? I literally treat my saws like children. I wrap them up in blankets in the garage, I clean them like im going to eat dinner off of them. ( it borders on crazy). My grandfather however will let his saws get rained on and all kinds of other horrid things. Haha every time I visit him I try to clean them up and put them inside if it is going to rain.

My wife and I were looking in NW jersey for a while but all my family lives around where we already own land and I wanna take care of my mom as she gets older. Plus she does not get to see her grand child enough right now.

Howdy! Nice lineup, and sounds like you got a good long tern relationship with your grandfather and Maine, which is a jamup nice state, especially if you have a job..heh

G'day! Welcome and good luck, my saws used to be perfectly adequate, simple tools that did a job.

Oh, and please don't ask what oil ratio to run. Trust me, your saws have run fine until now, and there are 73 threads started about that each week. Any other question - no matter how obvious it may appear - is welcome!

WHAM avatar for the man who can't grow a real beard.

I'll reserve my envy of the new 661 after I see how these computer altered carbs run. LoL you should have seen my local saw guys face when I asked him what he thought of the new carbs.

I will probably end up getting my saw's ported. Not sure when but it's bound to happen. The next saw I get will be an 880 haha. Because why the hell not! Slap a 5' bar on it and then say

"Hey gramp left my other saw's at home... lets cut some cord wood!"

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Latest posts

Back