Old ReGrowth Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheres the tree located by the way? I'm just over in Orange.

Oh no way! The tree is located on Parker St. in Gardner I'd be more then happy to show it to you (someone who knows a hell of a lot more then I do) drop me a PM if you ever are in town.

Yeah I'll stop over sometime if I'm in the area, I'll probably track you down monday up in Maine anyways.

Please do I'm going to need someone to watch one of my cameras (multi angle) and a way to power them off an 12V cigarette inverter, I don't know how long it will take to bring the tree down.

Visit

I was so inspired after being at Maine's elm removal I went to my big red maple tree. Forgot the tape measure but the spread is about 80ft. give or take.

How should I measure it because its odd shaped. Use an X pattern or a six way star and then average the measurements together? Becuase I walked through my town looking at trees in peoples yards and street trees (for Reds) and found a few not many, nothing close. And a street or two over is lined with large red maples but mine is still BOOMING huge in the trunk. I think its something to be recognized for a Red around here.

Average of two perpendicular measurements, it is required so that people cannot fudge it with non symetrical canopies.

Ok well, this is not my tree just a random image I made. But, if the brown is the tree and the red are the measurement lines, would I be correct to round between two branches and use #2?

Untitled.png

Here's the tree from a distance then close up...
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/NateTeebo/Maple 2/e.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/NateTeebo/Maple 2/9f4bb748.jpg

If it wasn't a Red Maple would it do this?? (reddening tips)
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/NateTeebo/Maple 2/S50300212.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/NateTeebo/Maple 2/S5030021.jpg

Last edited:
You figure out the longest measurement and then take another one at a right angle, then the score is the average of the two.

spread3.gif

This is from American Forests.

Some states actually require the average of the longest and shortest canopy diameters. Before these criteria were refined it was found that people would take the second measure only a few degrees off of the first where the canopy was influenced on one side by another tree or structure.

You figure out the longest measurement and then take another one at a right angle, then the score is the average of the two.

spread3.gif

This is from American Forests.

Some states actually require the average of the longest and shortest canopy diameters. Before these criteria were refined it was found that people would take the second measure only a few degrees off of the first where the canopy was influenced on one side by another tree or structure.

Thanks! What if the longest and the shortest are right next to each other? Then it wouldn't be a right angle. I took a lot of video if it today in extra HQ so you guys can get a better feel for what I'm working with here. It will be up on youtube soon.

Thanks! What if the longest and the shortest are right next to each other? Then it wouldn't be a right angle. I took a lot of video if it today in extra HQ so you guys can get a better feel for what I'm working with here. It will be up on youtube soon.

They are tow separate methods, with the right angle method seems to be the most used. I included it to show that there is not real standardization.

Questions

So I'm still pondering on weather or not the largest limb on my tree is a concern or not and what to do with it.

The RED is the limb I'm talking about witch is on an extreme angle, and the GREEN resembles cables that I was thinking about installing?
h.png

If we zoom way out you can see how that one limb alone is what 1/3 of the trees shape is composed from.
f-1.png

Dosent look that bad from this angle but once again RED is the limb, GREEN is a cable, and BLUE is another limb that could probably be addressed but is nowhere the size of the RED one.
d-1.png

Wow, that is one sad looking tree! I can see many issues with it. I would probably remove it before letting any kids play back there :laugh:

Yeah :( that 2008 ice storm destroyed the tips everywhere. I HAVE FAITH IN IT! and its on private property no kids better be playing out there haha it WAS a nice tree...

Can I remove some of these tiny shooter trees a few feet away from the tree all the way around so you can walk around the tree? Also maybe the roots will die off and the ground wont become too compact as if I let them mature out. But someone told me about the vigor and energy from the root system and not to remove them. I want all the energy to go to the tree not these shooters that is IF some of them are red maple.

g.jpg

Last edited:
no reason not to cut competition.

your proposed cable needs to go waaaay up if it goes in at all. pic too dark to see attachment.

i'll be back up july 1 or so and can cut you a deal if it's not done by then.

no reason not to cut competition.

your proposed cable needs to go waaaay up if it goes in at all. pic too dark to see attachment.

i'll be back up july 1 or so and can cut you a deal if it's not done by then.

Well that's good to know, away it goes than those little things have been bothering me its hard to walk and see the true root flare which on this tree (and I'll take pictures) I think needs to be uncovered an inch or so, you can see visibly healthy bark tissue on the ground going right into leaves. So possibly all these years of falling leaves composting AND these little stupid trees everywhere their roots have pushed the ground up slightly... I'll take pictures.

I'm not surprised, I'm a complete noob on cabling and such. Definitely keep in contact, someones coming out this month to inspect it and then I will be going from there.

PLEASE, if anyone can give me a analysis at a decent price I would really appreciate it. Just 10-15min. of your time, also an estimate for some pruning work.

I am still pondering about the competing shoots coming from the root flares all over the place. I want to cut them to send that energy into the canopy but someone told me about throwing off the trees vigor doing that. I made a video of some shooters coming from between two parallel flares.

Watch Video Here

After watching the video, take a look at these two diagrams. I want to rake away all the 'junk' (bark chips, loose soil, twigs, leaves, etc..) away from the trunk and flares. I think after 100 years worth of debris falling from the tree and 100 years worth of root development pushing the tree upward some of the soil has "stuck" to the root flares not falling/crumbling back over the decades. I did not want to get my hands dirty while using my camera but I did stick my finger down along/around a flare and pulled back some debris as you can see the wet spot in the video, and there has got to be at least a few inches of 'junk' covering the sides of the flares (where there is aerial tissue/rough bark)

The green is the junk:
Untitled2.png

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:
Where is everyone?

Wow I seem to be flooding this forum, its dead. It was beautiful out today so I did some ground breaking with a plastic rake and a broom. Raked up a good inch or two of leaves and twigs and exposed all kinds of problems.

I'm still pushing my raised land theory this time with evidence. There is a shoe buried completely and there is NO way that this shoe is 200 years old nor put there anytime close to before the tree matured. Knone has even been out there for 20+ years, there used to be a tree house in it a long time ago.
Untitled.png

Anyway I bet if I removed some more dirt slowly through the summer between these flares that there would be just a solid mass of wood that all these flares are peaking off of, the base of the tree has amazing taper.

I noticed many of the trees close to it have a weird frogs feet web finger style flares to all of them just like this large one. Adapted to wet soft grounds?

Just like my other large old red maple there was a small tree growing against the trunk, only the roots from this one have started to girdle the flare from my tree. I am going to have to use a rake, broom and hose to wash away the dirt to expose the roots so I can cut it out carefully. Then use a chisel to remove what can be safely removed of the remaining girdle.
Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Latest posts

Back