old saw new mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upandcommer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some background is in order I bought a used homelite xl-12 at one of the local saw shops here and put her back to work. My question should you choose to answer it is this. I run 32-1 for all my saws this saw for some reason smokes a bit on start up but then once warm and worked into her groove stops smoking and starts cutting better is this just shaking the cobwebs out of the old girl as i suspect or is it more along the lines of rings not being properly seated till the piston has expanded from heat as I fear. As long as she will run i will run her into the ground but i don't want her to fail for lack of maintenance. the saws i have for comparison are a stihl ms290 and a pair of poulan wildthings (limbing saws) and an old mac 1-43 none of the others have this problem just the homelite. I primarily use this saw in the backyard for cutting the large chunks into splittable rounds because I fear her failing in the woods.

They will smoke more when cold than when fully warmed up.

The fule/oil will tend ti stick to the cold case parts and cause it to run artificially rich. You could also switch to 40:1 mix and get more power while still properly protecting the saw.

This takes into account that you are running a good grade of modern oil.

All in all it sounds like its running fine.

Back