Old saw toughness vs. new saw delicateness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albngore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I realize that weight reduction has played a pivotal role in the composition of modern saws, but does anyone else feel that all the plastic is just too delicate? My old reliable Homelite feels solid, from the casings, to the on/off switch, to the choke mechanism, et cetera.

On the other hand, I just got a 372XP and while it is a real cutting machine, all the plastic parts just look and feel so delicate. The filter cover and the part on which it sits crack easily. And the choke/fast idle pull-out is a cheap piece of plastic that popped out of the carburetor the second day I was cutting. Sure, it was easy to pop it back into the choke mechanism on the carb, but it's just a cheap little plastic knob that merely seems to squish into the metal hole in the carb choke rocker. I guess I am old school, but I just don't like the construction of these new saws. Nevertheless, I have never cut with any saw that screams through wood like the 372XP.

Oops, thought I was in the chainsaw forum. Well I'll place there too. Sorry.

Nope my stihl saws seem rugged as anything plus I don't have the extra weight of all the metel of the older saws.

I feel the same way I have older homelites from wizz to c-72 to xl supers and so on. And I love my Stihl's just bought a 192 today(can't wait to try) but every one of those homelites have at least min. 15yrs. and some 25-30yrs. In this family and they are still running.I hope I can pass my Stihls on to my Kids only time will tell.

Time and plastic don't get along so well, especially when you add heat to the equation.

Cheap choke pulls on a Huskys just goes to show that the Pro Saw makers aren't immune to the economic forces that caused Mcculloch and Homelite to turn into a joke.

i have goten alot of saws this past year most of then older saws and i have to say that i love the feel of them They are heaver than the plastic saws but seem to be made much stronger.One of the last saws i got was a 455 rancher i know it is not a pro saw but the plastic it is made out of is the same as other husky,s and was dissapointed did not evan use it selling on ebay .Has anyone else notised saws about 10 years old on ebay are missing air filter covers brake leavers chokes and other plastic parts with that said i allso have a 036 and i love it. I wish saw makers could use metal and anti vib i think a o36 made out of metal would be better . the future is here just like with other thangs quality is comprimissed in lure of the $. have you tryed to by a good knife lately add the quality of guns has realy been hit hard as well.

I agree with the metal vs. plastic vs. time equation, however I have a 338 xpt that has bounced around the treelimbs with me for over 2 years...and I love it. A good solid saw, and more power than any trimming saw I have used before...just a little pricy.

How true 372 saws are light powerfull machines, but as far as tough they are not so good. Those old Huskys that I used, especially 266xp and 288xp saws were the real deal, the ones with the steel brake.

Back