Old skil 1634 idles but won't rev

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got ahold of a Skil 1634 and I'm trying to get it running. It will run if I choke it a lot. I openned up the gas tank and removed the gas filter from the end of the gas line, but it didn't change anything so I put it back on. After fiddling with it for a while I was able to get it to idle for several minutes, but it stalls when I open the throttle. My next guess is to take apart the carbeurator. Do you have any other advice?

Also, I would like to further identify this saw or even find a manual. I went to the acres site at
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...2b158924d4f5373988256b54005248f8?OpenDocument

and it says Poulan built, same as model XXV-CVA. Is this right? I can't find any Poulan XXV-CVA anywhere. Also, what would be the original factory specified fuel/air mix for this saw. I am a little uncomfortable with 50:1, despite all of the discussions out there.

Well if you are sure the gas line is good and not sucking shut and the carb is clean inside and in good working order. Check the carb base gasket too. Then screw in the H and L screws all the way (lightly) then back them out 1 1/4 turn. Then start the saw and let it warm up increase the idle screw if needed. Then if it stays running turn the L clockwise (in) until the RPM's drop then stop. Then turn the same L screw out CCW until the saw takes the throttle well. Then you can turn down the idle to suit. Then you can tweek the H clockwise to suit on the rpms. Hope this helps...Bob

it says Poulan built, same as model XXV-CVA. Is this right? I can't find any Poulan XXV-CVA anywhere.

It is a 25 series with anti-vibe. Poulan had several different corporate names so you need to know the era of the saw in order to search the correct one. Look under "POULAN (BEAIRD POULAN)" and count down 11 entries to "S25CVA".

Saw runs now - H screw was in too tight!

Thanks Bob. I adjusted the screws to 1 1/4 turns like you said, and started the saw and bingo! :D Revs up pretty well. The H screw was turned in to only 1/2 a turn or something. I will do some finer adjustment on it now. Thanks for the help.

Back