Old Stihl chainsaw ID help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Good day everyone, i've been busy, firewood cutting, tree thinning and felling, in addition to driving a 5 ton.

I just found an OLD Stihl saw in the pawnshop, excellent compression, well maintained from the looks of things, i need help id'ing it.

it looks similar to a Stihl Lightning (1959) and a Stihl S-10 (1969)

Lightening: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...c1baf555ed2aa95b88256c02000beb2d?OpenDocument

S-10: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...4cf3ef0f6a332ae488256ba2001858d9?OpenDocument

the only way i can really describe it is that the CHOKE switch is a DIAL on the RIGHT side of the carb cover, and there is a bar oil tank on the clutch side, the fuel tank is on the left side of the case, there is large dual felling spikes , 20" bar, full wrap handle with a brace bar on the right side of the handlebar (top right). Its all magnesium construction, has a flat air filter element. Also, the on/off swiotch is on the left side of the carb cover, underneath the air filter cover, but exposed. The exhaust is on the front, with a single round pipe exiting downwards to the left.

really looks more like the S-10, but unlike the S-10 there is a CHOKE dial knob on the right side of the saw.

sorry, i know pics would help but i dont have any.

its 400 cdn, is in excellent shape except for a tiny crak on the BOTTOM left of the case (will this affect operation? no fluid are leaking from the crack....)

:confused:

Last edited:
pawn shop find

Before you buy it look for the serial #'s they may be on the bottom crank case or near the chain/muffler on a metal plate, check carefully than post them for the experts here to peruse, If it is a lightening than buy it and get some pics its likely worth the four-hundred bucks, if its another S-10 type model i'd try to barter cause four-hundred's abit high. Once you locate the serial/stock #'s contact Stihl-Canada to ask them.

thanks Doc, i will go do that.

i should also add:

no chainbrake, and there is skiptooth chain, looks to be 3/8. The muffler is rectangular, fairly flat, with a single round exit port.

EDIT/Update: just talked to the shop, the number is "3007" and it is on the case, near the drive gear.

hope this helps, i know a pic would help but for now this all i have...

Last edited:
bump to the top.

well i said why not and blew the dough on it. :givebeer:

QUESTION:

the on/off switch, is located on the starter pully side, on the side of the carbhousing. The siwtch slides left or right, the left side having a "1" and the right side having a "0"

i'm guessing the "1" is the ON?

2nd question:

i fully understand why the loggers of days past had arms like elephants. I can barely pull the starter.

whats the best way to start one these old beasts?

bump to the top.

well i said why not and blew the dough on it. :givebeer:
good move!
i'm guessing the "1" is the ON?
yep

whats the best way to start one these old beasts?
I may not be the best qualified - but if you're familiar with drop starting, it's pretty good for high compression big saws - it uses the saws momentum to help you pull the starter. Otherwise plonk it on the ground I would. Find TDC first, then pull hard... Maybe 3-4 pulls choke (unless it 'pops', then off choke), then off choke and pull

And finally - GET SOME PHOTOS UP! I for one am interested in what model it is...

^ will do once i can find a camera to borrow.

In the meantime i've started stripping it down and cleaning it, in the kitchen (where else!). The clutch cover is pretty neat, it contains the bar oil tank , and a giant oiler that looks like something outta of an 1800's engine. Filled the oiler tank with engine cleaner and spun the little spring tab that connects to the Spurgear. After a few seconds gunky sludge and engine cleaner started dripping out of the steel pipe that feeds onto the chain. A rinse in hot water and that piece was cleaned up nicely.

Back