old time spliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 026 with 122lbs. comp, and one with 149lbs. comp.
I use them both and don't really notice any difference!?!?!?

What is your comp at?

I was told and believe, as long as your above a (110+lbs.) your okay-ish!?!?!?!?!
But have been told anything lower you want to watch, it might eat up from the inside.

Grab a pair of rings and weigh it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not that hard to just throw on a set of rings!?!?!
I say that after blindly doing mine the first time!

What size it? engine.

90 lbs on those type B&S engines is good..
from what i was "told" that is almost new.
newer model will be different.

most of the brigs and stratton engines i see have 130-150psi compression. They are very simple inside and can be torn down and put back together in about 1-2hrs if all the bolts come out. I would pull the head off and make sure there isnt a large wear ring at the top of the cylinder. If there is you might as well look into a new motor cause new rings wont help you too much with a worn out cylinder but you might be able to get them bored out.

I finally checked my 7hp Briggs, on my splitter!
It has 99lbs. comp.
I feel just fine with it. It runs, idles just perfect, and have not seen any power loss!

90 lbs of compression

90lbs is very common on easy start Briggs...They have a decompression cam for easier starting...If I have to guess that is your issue...I would just do a good tune up on it, both carb and ignition and see how it runs...I did my dads about 2 months ago and it runs twice as good as it used to...After seeing the pick up tube on the carb I wonder how it ran at all...

Briggs in general don't really have all that much compression to begin with, if it runs okay, leave it alone. If it runs crappy and the P/C are okay hone the cylinder and put in new rings.

thanks every one for the use full information i will take a look at the carb and tune it up first and check the cylinder then go from there talk back when have more info on it

Back