Older Echo CS-3000 worth hanging on to?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billygoat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up this older Echo CS-3000 at an estate sale last summer and it looks like it’s barely been used. It starts right up and works great. A buddy offered to buy it for $90, but I’m a bit a tool-aholic and there’s always room in my garage for a quality tool. Is this anything special that I should hang on to?

Attachments

• A717328C-FFF5-4E56-9110-4BA47DBD7A3A.jpeg
    A717328C-FFF5-4E56-9110-4BA47DBD7A3A.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 05448A9A-8644-43BF-BD99-7402580C4FF5.jpeg
    05448A9A-8644-43BF-BD99-7402580C4FF5.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • FCCBE24E-7D81-4AC0-8171-227592E8617C.jpeg
    FCCBE24E-7D81-4AC0-8171-227592E8617C.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 26
I have a CS-3400 top handle and love it. Not much difference. I know a guy who broke the on-off switch but still uses it by choking it off. When the switch broke, it locked into the on position. His was a slide switch. Yours is the toggle like my CS-3400.

I picked up this older Echo CS-3000 at an estate sale last summer and it looks like it’s barely been used. It starts right up and works great. A buddy offered to buy it for $90, but I’m a bit a tool-aholic and there’s always room in my garage for a quality tool. Is this anything special that I should hang on to?
Well I have had one about 15 or more years. It was a gift. I used it some but for a while was my only saw and it couldn't do a lot of what I needed. I am now up to cs 620p for bigger stuff. I was almost ready to trash it. I beat it up pretty bad. I changed my mind and I cleaned it up switched to premix fuel and threw on a new bar and chain. I kind of like it a lot now. I use it for branches and small trees. Our land is hilly and its easy to climb around in brush and in trees with the cs 3000. My wife is comfortable using it as well. SO what I do now is when im cutting something big I bring it with me to use on branches and clean up stuff. The other thing about it is that it always starts and is always ready to go.

I would keep it. It kind of grows on you. It seems pretty indestructible as well. I treat it as my throw away saw but its keeps on going.

I have one as well but it only has 70lbs compression and I haven't figured out why, the cylinder is pristine. My Echo CS-280E is one of my most used saws and the CS-3000 would likely be right there with it if it ran.

I have one as well but it only has 70lbs compression and I haven't figured out why, the cylinder is pristine. My Echo CS-280E is one of my most used saws and the CS-3000 would likely be right there with it if it ran.
Often times echos will test a little low...could needa new ring set

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

It's an older reed-valve engine. They are OK, but lackluster for power compared to the later piston ported Echo top handle models. Pretty well built and rugged otherwise. I've had a few here over the years but never liked one enough to keep it around very long......Cliff

... The chain is on backwards in the photos.
Yes, Ray, the chain is on backwards in the photos. You amaze me with your eye for detail. Ir's surprising how many saws have been dropped off at my shop with complaints by the owner that they did not cut worth a hoot. The chain was often both mounted on backwards and dull.

It's pretty good. More power than it should have after a decade of casual use so light to pick it up after your grip is sore from the big boys. I almost always think about giving it a go and only move up if it's getting dark or dull chain. My only gripe is no spikes to pivot off of so I have to use two hands when I'd rather just stick it and pivot...

Latest posts

Back