Older Repairs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK, So here we go. Now being at the tender ripe age of late mid 60's I have a bit of a trembling problem in both my hands. For minor work this is not an issue/problem. However I was putting a carburetor kit in my 028. All went smoothly until I had to put the spring beneath the lever that allows the mix to enter. Well, I am glad that there were no under age individuals in the vicinity because I used a few a few crude anatomical phrases that related to human anatomy and there bodily functions. So after about 45 minutes of peppering the atmosphere with crude cuss words of the distant past, I had managed to get the saw all reassembled and now running well. My original question is "Does anyone have a method to compress the spring, and allow me to insert the holding pin beneath the needle and allowing the screw to be tightened "Without the spring going AWOL?" Comments are welcome, thanks Ken

OK, So here we go. Now being at the tender ripe age of late mid 60's I have a bit of a trembling problem in both my hands. For minor work this is not an issue/problem. However I was putting a carburetor kit in my 028. All went smoothly until I had to put the spring beneath the lever that allows the mix to enter. Well, I am glad that there were no under age individuals in the vicinity because I used a few a few crude anatomical phrases that related to human anatomy and there bodily functions. So after about 45 minutes of peppering the atmosphere with crude cuss words of the distant past, I had managed to get the saw all reassembled and now running well. My original question is "Does anyone have a method to compress the spring, and allow me to insert the holding pin beneath the needle and allowing the screw to be tightened "Without the spring going AWOL?" Comments are welcome, thanks Ken
I feel your pain…and have some of those tiny springs…somewhere on the shop floor.
I use a pair of tweezers, first, to set the spring, then then to place the needle and holder together in place over the spring…press down to hold with a finger while adding the tiny screw with a magnetic driver.
So far I haven’t lost anymore springs.

I'm older than you and share the "tremblies." What works best for me is:
1. set the carb on bench so the metering side is up & level and the carb is steady - shim as needed
2. set the spring in its well
3. with spindle in lever, hang the needle on the lever fork
4. lower the lever so the needle is centered on its hole and the lever dimple is centered on the spring
5. gently lower the lever/needle while compressing the spring, making sure the spindle settles in its groove
6. while one hand/finger holds the lever in place, with other hand put the screw that secures the spindle into place and tighten enough to hold spindle in place
7. lift finger and see if spring is correctly positioned; if so, finish tightening screw.

If the assembly is not correct, remove screw and return to step 2. I have to do that about 10% of the time. Usually it works perfectly and takes far less time than it took me to type this.

Good luck!

Edit: I see singinwoodwackr uses a similar approach (and is a faster typist).

My trick is to put a tiny dab of grease in the bottom of the hole the spring sits in. That keeps the sping from flying away first chance it gets and keeps it more or less upright in the hole.
I do about the same as Robin but use a dab of Vaseline from an old jar that has a tooth pick permanently embedded in there. A dab on the toothpick swirled around down in the spring keeper well will hold the spring in place standing straight up. The fuel will easily dissolve the Vaseline when the carb is put back in service.

I just mount the carb in a vise (drill press vice) protected by some soft wood blocks. This keeps thing from moving around while you are trying to finagle the metering lever and spring into proper position.

Nothing in particular right now but I have experienced the joy of a carb spring liberating itself during reassembly. I wish they would be included in the carb kits since you would be changing the inlet needle during a rebuild.

Nothing in particular right now but I have experienced the joy of a carb spring liberating itself during reassembly. I wish they would be included in the carb kits since you would be changing the inlet needle during a rebuild.
I find them...as well as piston circlips every now and then :p

. My original question is "Does anyone have a method to compress the spring, and allow me to insert the holding pin beneath the needle and allowing the screw to be tightened "Without the spring going AWOL?" Comments are welcome, thanks Ken
Usually when I am wrenching.....and something doesnt want to cooperate.....one or two cold beers later I can fix that in a first try :D

Usually when I am wrenching.....and something doesn't want to cooperate.....one or two cold beers later I can fix that in a first try.

Well sir, I tried this one time. The carburetor wound up in tiny pieces and no amount of gorilla glue could reassemble it. This is one reason that I have not had any type of alcoholic beverage since 2006.

Latest posts

Back