Older Stihl 034 Clutch Cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The adjustment hole in the clutch cover is not causing your problems. Maybe someone put a side adjust 036 cover on your 034. Check the oil output hose that the oil pump sits in. It might be worn out and leaking. Check the oil line also for cracks. Lastly check the bar for the right fit. The oil hole has got to line up, and be wide enough to get oil to the chain. I'd be interested to find out the numbers and letters on that bar...
Hope you can read the numbers...
T9daCsg.jpg

OAgt7Bd.jpg

Okay, some success to report. I put on a Stihl 25 inch bar and chain and ripped a couple of firewood rounds with a much improved result. For some reason the 20 inch Windsor bar with the oil hole cut right through works on my 026 with side bar adjustment but just makes an oil mess on the 034 with front bar adjustment.

I suspect the front adjust (034) with the side adjust clutch cover is simply the wrong combination for bars with the oil hole cut through. The only way to know for sure is to try the Windsor bar with a proper front adjust clutch cover.

I didn't really want a 25 inch bar on the 034 but at least it makes the saw usable for now. I still have to play with it more to confirm I'm getting enough oil to keep the bar/chain lubricated properly as I wasn't getting a lot of fling off the end of the bar after ripping the rounds.

Anyway, thanks for your help in working through this with me!

V5MAKAR.jpg

41LW4lb.jpg

JSKTsfu.jpg

Cheers!

I will let you guys in on a little known fact these days, the Windsor bars with the holes straight through were made for saws that used double bar plates, that`s a plate inside and one outside against the clutch cover, the outer plate was blank where the oil holes are located, that stopped the bar oil from running straight through, many saws years back used double plates, many saws today do not.

I will let you guys in on a little known fact these days, the Windsor bars with the holes straight through were made for saws that used double bar plates, that`s a plate inside and one outside against the clutch cover, the outer plate was blank where the oil holes are located, that stopped the bar oil from running straight through, many saws years back used double plates, many saws today do not.

Haha, where were you 7 years ago??? Thanks! Hopefully this will help others in the future.

Haha, where were you 7 years ago??? Thanks! Hopefully this will help others in the future.

Ha, guess I was running my old saws that have double bar plates, the Windsor bar was the best we could get our hands on back then. My association with Stihl only began around 88 -89, by the early 90`s they were my main saws. I hope your bar oil leaks much less now.

Back