oldEST trees on earth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The world's 10 oldest living trees | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Does that read a 190 foot circumference Chestnut? With the 1/3 approx. rule that makes it an approx. 60' plus diameter?!!

Vetster, I've been to the white mts to see the ancient bristlecone pine tree's, just awesome, they start at 10,000ft elevation....I hiked a 4 mile loop at 10,000ft.
out of schulman grove, tree's everywere, twisted up ,they looks dead, but there alive and still growing...

They say Christ walked the earth when these bristlecone pines were growing..very cool!

heres my pics of just a few trees and awesome view looking west at the 14,000ft high sierra's

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

Now there is a dedicated Treeman. Super duper awesome pictures Woodsman. Wish I was there with ya.

I flew out to see the giant Redwoods but with other touring to keep the kids happy, did not see them.

My in-laws owned a cabin in Squaw Valley, Ca. Right by the Sequoia's. We spent a day up there hiking around, amazing. General Sherman is one big mother. We (me and my FIL) were talking about how big a bar u would need, forestry lady heard us and chewed our aas! They have campground close by, we stayed there and took off up the hill, found one tree that u could walk thru, had enough space inside to live and set up a decent house!

Any person who goes there for the first time will be amazed, any tree guy will be blown away, the pics dont do them justice, those trees, not just the Gen, but all of them, are freakin HUGE. It is life changing, those who have been, know what I mean.

Last edited:
I know what you mean Scott. Yesterday got a call on a tree I have been urging the 2 ho's involved to removed but they are too cheap to pull the trigger. This tree in a big afternoon blow shed a co dom 3 and a half foot in dia and luckily only mashed a carriage house (old) roof and other sheds and play sets etc. This red oak is probably over 140 feet tall and remaining trunk maybe 5' dia. It would be dwarfed if one of these old California giants stood next to it. I always have that in mind when I know I will be doing the removal.

What still gets me is the listed Guinness Book of Records Chestnut(?) with the record 60' girth. Anybody know anything about that tree?

Here is a huge one I have had in my file for a while.

243568d1341059933-baobob-jpg

Last edited:
I know what you mean Scott. Yesterday got a call on a tree I have been urging the 2 ho's involved to removed but they are too cheap to pull the trigger. This tree in a big afternoon blow shed a co dom 3 and a half foot in dia and luckily only mashed a carriage house (old) roof and other sheds and play sets etc. This red oak is probably over 140 feet tall and remaining trunk maybe 5' dia. It would be dwarfed if one of these old California giants stood next to it. I always have that in mind when I know I will be doing the removal.

What still gets me is the listed Guinness Book of Records Chestnut(?) with the record 60' girth. Anybody know anything about that tree?

Here is a huge one I have had in my file for a while.

243568d1341059933-baobob-jpg

damn that is amazing!

I know what you mean Scott. Yesterday got a call on a tree I have been urging the 2 ho's involved to removed but they are too cheap to pull the trigger.

It's cheaper to let it fall and then take out an HO insurance claim. Don't have to pay out of pocket that way.

P.S. that was sarcasm in case anybody was wondering.

It's cheaper to let it fall and then take out an HO insurance claim. Don't have to pay out of pocket that way.

P.S. that was sarcasm in case anybody was wondering.

somebody must know what you mean...Me Scott Beans, Woodsman got over 10,000 combined posts and you have 71 posts and been on for a couple of month and you have the same rep as we do...:msp_w00t:

I asked Mrs Darrin about that, think she said it has to do with V bulletin, not them. That's why I kinda quit the rep thing, it has no real merit. A guy can go to the off topic and get repped up in a day.............

BTW- That pic! Holy freakin crap!!!!, that's what I mean when ya see the sequoia's, same reaction. Just plain mind blowing, as the saying goes, if those trees could talk.......... Man, what would the say!

I think that one would say "get the hell off of me and bring me some damn water!"

I think that after this little reminder, the first weekend getaway will be back up there at Squaw Valley, then up to the coastal redwoods, never been there, wouldn't mind going to see those pines either.

Last edited:
Hi, check out googlehttp://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=worlds%20oldest%20trees%20in%20tasmania&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnews%2Ffeatures%2Fthe-oldest-tree%2Fstory-e6frg8h6-1226130673929&ei=4kbwT4DPItC0iQeWy8z3DA&usg=AFQjCNHQ5rNv6KRR3QVgqZhQeGXv2uyTCw on oldest trees in Tasmania , Australia or google it. Rated at 10,500 years
Also the second largest tree in the world after the US is also in Tasmania, Australia. An island state below off mainland Australia
I know cause thats where I am origionally from.
Cheers Wayne

I asked Mrs Darrin about that, think she said it has to do with V bulletin, not them. That's why I kinda quit the rep thing, it has no real merit. A guy can go to the off topic and get repped up in a day.............

BTW- That pic! Holy freakin crap!!!!, that's what I mean when ya see the sequoia's, same reaction. Just plain mind blowing, as the saying goes, if those trees could talk.......... Man, what would the say!

I think that one would say "get the hell off of me and bring me some damn water!"

I think that after this little reminder, the first weekend getaway will be back up there at Squaw Valley, then up to the coastal redwoods, never been there, wouldn't mind going to see those pines either.

Mrs. Darrin :)

Hi, check out googlehttp://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=worlds%20oldest%20trees%20in%20tasmania&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theaustralian.com.au%2Fnews%2Ffeatures%2Fthe-oldest-tree%2Fstory-e6frg8h6-1226130673929&ei=4kbwT4DPItC0iQeWy8z3DA&usg=AFQjCNHQ5rNv6KRR3QVgqZhQeGXv2uyTCw on oldest trees in Tasmania , Australia or google it. Rated at 10,500 years
Also the second largest tree in the world after the US is also in Tasmania, Australia. An island state below off mainland Australia
I know cause thats where I am origionally from.
Cheers Wayne

Wayne no picts or links showed and I'd like to see em:cheers:

Now there is a dedicated Treeman. Super duper awesome pictures Woodsman. Wish I was there with ya.

I flew out to see the giant Redwoods but with other touring to keep the kids happy, did not see them.

Thanks vet, love to get out and see this stuff, actually I have no excuse, I dont live to far from all these old and massive tree's, mabey 4 to 5 hour drive at most.

Here's a few pics of the tree Scott was talking about, "General Sherman" is 103' circumferance, 275 ft. tall, estimated 2,200 years old, at 7000ft. elevation and the "LARGEST TREE IN THE WORLD" in volume.

Located in Sequoia national park in California

A few of my pics of this weekend

120.jpg

121.jpg

131.jpg

DUDE!! WE STOOD ON THE SAME DIRT,LOL

Yeah, that place is something! We bought one of those baby trees they sell there for my son. It came in this little plastic protective container. I told my boy to water it, just a little. He filled the container :cry:

DUDE!! WE STOOD ON THE SAME DIRT,LOL

Yeah, that place is something! We bought one of those baby trees they sell there for my son. It came in this little plastic protective container. I told my boy to water it, just a little. He filled the container :cry:

Scott, yes, were tree bro's for life!..lol

My pics still dont do justice to the size of these tree's, you just have to be there in person to get the full scope of it.

Latest posts

Back