Oldies but Goodies Still Working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How about a thread showing some of the older saws out there that are still working. Here's my Husky 55 today in the hardwood after bucking up some maple and dead cherry.

This saw is 14 years old never been rebuilt!

Al

attachment.php

Last edited:
Makita DCS 520i

Here is my mid 90s Makita DCS 520i sitting on a Red Maple stump & finishing up a Sweetgum stump about a year ago. 52ccs and fuel injected...lol

AttractiveDCS520i.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
I know this aint a pic of the saw in the wood or on it, (I usually cut wood alone), but here is my favorite older saw. 034AV

DSCN9255.jpg

Here are the two of four saws I have left from my logging days of the '80's. A Husky 162 with a 266 motor. And a Jonsereds 630. Just firewood and brush cutting now. This fall the 630 swallowed a piece of the spark arrester so I swapped the motor from the Husky that was leaking bar oil and am now down to one saw for the first time in about 25 years. You can see from the gas tank it is about half husky half jonsereds. Still running strong.
Considering a 2159 soon.
Dan.

Little old

I still use my 041 Farmboss and my little 266XP regularly. I have newer saws, love them and use them alot. But if they get dull or I hit a stone, these are my backups... Always reliable... 41 is from the mid 70's and the 266 is from the 80's. I used them both for a couple years to cut ALOT of wood and both handled it well with never a problem... The wife, until last christmas was using a little 020. That's like a 70's model saw also...

Last edited:
NIce

I still use my Super XL a lot, and the 150 on occasion.

Mark

Super XL is one of my Fave's. When I work with my cousin I still use the old Super XL alot. Man o man they are tough eh???

:Cheers:
Dude

I'll have to get some pic's of the 038 super get'n it done. :clap: I just put it back together today after doing a mild woods port and muffler mod on it and that old sucker just put a serious whoop'n on my 044, a full two and a half seconds in some rock hard dry hickory. Needles to say I was pretty pleased with the outcome considering that I didn't even rering it while I had it down (150psi I figured they’d live a little while longer). I got some video but don't know how to post it, I'll see if I can get some pic's from it.

Great thread ! Keep them pics coming. I am a man for older stuff to tinker a lot for hobby but when it comes to sawing, I'll use the most modern and lightweight saw around, LOL.

When I buy old saws for my collection, it's funny sometimes how these elder folks are speaking highly of that workhorse they liked so much and go bragging about it's performance back then and still today. They hang on to such saws untill their body won't allow it to use any longer.

I always promise that their saw goes into good collector hands ...:givebeer:

Really geat photos guys - keep them coming.

I'd like to see someone running an old Pioneer - - - I don't remember the model, (I think it may have been green in color) but that's the brand my dad finally bought in the mid sixties when he felt he was too old to keep making firewood wood using a crosscut saw. After researching the ACRES site, it may have been a saw in the Pioneer 1110-1130 series.

My nephews used that saw up when the built a log cabin on dad's land in Ashland County. That was in the mid eighties. :cry:

Al

Last edited:
Here's dad's 041 after working up some osage orange.

attachment.php

We bought my Dad an 041 back in 1977, and it still runs good to this day, although it isn't an AV model like your Dad's. Great saws and I just love the sound. One thing that strikes me as odd, I have never seen one with a white hand guard, the ones I've seen were always black.:confused:

How about this old girl. I'd guess she's around 30 years old and will likely still be cutting wood for another 30 years after the new EPA saws have all seized up.

Stihl 038 AV Super.

Yes, 36" is a tad long but she's a PNW saw and proud of it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back