On average HOW DRI is dry!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If your fire wood sits for 1 year in a drying shed or covered out side what would you expect to see on a moisture meter for a reading?
would 15 % be a good number or should it be lower?
Has any one ever checked?:jawdrop:

They say 12-15% MC is good, so if you're getting 15 thats just about right.
Never checked mine though- the meters are too expensive for just firewood and I dont saw or dry lumber....yet. You only have to protect wood from only one of the elements so the drying process is easy if you set it up right. If done correctly you only need to season for 6 months.
I've heard of US forest service studies where they could get it down to 12% in three weeks just drying outside- not in a kiln. After a while you'll know when you can burn it and when its dry enough to pass you're spec. test.

I recently picked up a meter and for the firewood I checked 15% is a pretty reasonable number. I think anywhere between 10-20 is what you will see. Fresh cut is going to be around 25+ while kiln drying will be needed to get in the sub 10 catagory on average.

I justed checked a piece of silver maple that had been split and stacked and covered outside for 2 years and got 14% while a piece of locust under the same conditions for a year was 17%. I just tested the end. You might get a little different reading if you cut the piece and test the inside.

I say dry is when you are out of beer. Or in Utah, and stuck drinking 3.2 beer.

That's dry... ;)

But for firewood, anything less than 20% should burn just fine.

My NW softwood firewood when first cut and split is off the scale above 36% but when ready to burn is below 20 when measured inside a freshly split split. The difference between 20 and 15 is very noticable and below 15 is all good. I measure with a 30$ HF moisture meter which has been surprisingly dependable and consistant.

Oh and if stored properly, the time to go from over 36 to below 20 is less than one year. I just put it up in early spring and burn the same fall. Again, this is softwood such as red cedar, doug fir, alder, and cottonwood. My current fuel is cottonwood which despite wive's tales burns very well in my soapstone stove.

Last edited:
22 % is what I read is the best MC you can have for firewood....dont know where they would come up with that.

Most of the time here in MI your lowest your going to get is maybe 12 to 15% air drying out side. 4/4 lumber can get down to 9% if its a dry summer so.

Most trees (hardwood) when cut is about 75% MC (high green, sap time) but like ash is high at 45%, or like white spruce is 115% MC..... Cotton wood poplar and aspen is 154% MC.

22 % is what I read is the best MC you can have for firewood....dont know where they would come up with that.

That is typically where most wood finds its equilibrium with the outdoor conditions. Framing lumber is dried to 15% but quickly picks up moisture and settles around 20-22%.

Back