one big forest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
plant more trees in great britain turn it back into the big forest it once was...plant oaK ash beech scots pine ,go planting mad:blob2:

Last edited:
Originally posted by ROLLACOSTA
plant more trees in great britain turn it back into the big forest it once was...plant oaK ash beech scots pine ,go planting mad:blob2:
And the USA too! (Tho I'm not sure about the ash right now).
Arbor Day is here Friday! Put em in and watch em grow!

plant trees

Digging turf out on Innish Boffin came across a couple of oak stumps. One went in to be carbon dated near 40,000 years old, the other was the oldest piece of firewood the fireplace ever saw, for that matter it was the only piece of wood the fireplace ever saw.

My goal this year is to plant 750 trees. Got just under 200 last year. We have even done a couple for free.

Originally posted by wiley_p
We have even done a couple for free.
I do a lot for free; or at least it seems. It's all rolled into the price for removals which are called "replacements". If the yard has no room for another tree then it gets 3 shrubs.

Trees are easy to move so they shouldn't cost you much, and the goodwill is priceless.:angel:

I meant really free, as in after a completely underbid, rig off itself kind of show, then plant a 2" caliper Locust,complete with the normal compost,mycorrizae,superthrive mix.

So you plant thorny rootsprouting reviled trees after you underbid?<g>That's making em pay!:blob2:

I was at the state nursery the other day, looking to salvage unbought trees. The growers were especially eager to rid themselves of the Robinia p. Are you planting that or Gleditsia?

Yeah its kind of sick but I think when they get big they look great with the sunset showing through them. Sometimes its an Oak although for some reason can't get folks to go that way very often, lots of japanese maples, and of course Western Red's. But what usually sets me off is when they say they want strong wood, then I says "well ya know they used to make nails out of locust don't ya" works every time if its the husband.

Originally posted by wiley_p
and of course Western Red's.
AS in Thuja plicata? WR Cedars are getting more popular here, occupying a small niche of the leyland's market. Those who are looking more than 2 years down the road get Tp Hogan or Green Giant, etc

Yes thats correct, also called giant arborvitae. I like them, critters like them and they are actuall really tougfh trees. Not to mention they are the key ingredient in making a proper sauna.

This is one of the joys of working at a botanical garden/managed forest. When the weather is good its all about removals. If its sunny for a week straight I start to feel like a butcher. But when it gets rainy and muddy its all about planting! Not always planting trees, but it still feels great to finish your day off soaked and coated with mud and know that you just put 50 or 60 happy plants into the ground. Better yet is when you come back in a couple of months and see them putting off that sweet, clean new growth. :)

Latest posts

Back