One hand saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bermie

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
recipe for disaster

Well I need to do some pruning with a one hand saw on a ladder and my Husky 55 is a little large. What would be a good new/used saw?

Oh boy, BUT someone said, tell him how to do it safely...

-Recognize the fact that a ladder is just for accessing the tree, not for working off ESPECIALLY with a chainsaw
-Learn to operate a top handled chainsaw correctly - with TWO hands
-Better yet, but a Silky Sugoi or Zubat and remove the chainsaw from the equation for now
-Learn to set a climbing line, tie knots, select a tie in point, climb and manouver in a tree with a rope and harness
-Learn to use a chainsaw from a rope and harness, correct cutting techniques appropriate for the situation at hand.
-Teach a buddy all you have learned so he can rescue you if it goes pear shaped.

Back to basics - An unfortunate landscaper DIED here carrying out EXACTLY what you are thinking of doing. He was up an unsecured ladder 25', no rope or harness, leaning out with a chainsaw to cut branches. It went wrong, he fell, the branch landed on him, did I say...HE DIED.:(

Get hold of your buddy, ask him to help, watch what he does, try his kit to see what it's like, BBQ him lots of steak and give him beer at the end, and a few $$.

Cheers;)

Evin

ArboristSite Member
Hi All,

Thanks for all the great suggestions and info. For now I'll let my friend be the monkey in the tree, but I will ask for his help in teaching me to use a saddle and tie in correctly. The pruning job that needs to be done is clean cut where branches broke of so the limb would be 4-8 inches thick, but only 4-10 inches long. Thanks to this forum I'm now at 5 saws !!!

rb_in_va

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi All,

Thanks for all the great suggestions and info. For now I'll let my friend be the monkey in the tree, but I will ask for his help in teaching me to use a saddle and tie in correctly. The pruning job that needs to be done is clean cut where branches broke of so the limb would be 4-8 inches thick, but only 4-10 inches long. Thanks to this forum I'm now at 5 saws !!!

Good man! :cheers: