One hand saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got Kaiser only $15 :) Although I did have a friend that did some tree climbing a month ago to prune up some trees.... maybe I should call him.

Kaiser is a number of hospitals that I belong to and it only cost me $15 per visit.

I'm telling ya folks...you won't find better entertainment anywhere on the internet.

I got a 24' ladder and sometimes I still cant get to limbs I want to cut with my top handle poulan 2000 or 1800 or the manual tree saw that has a saw and cutter on one end. Polesaws still not long enough either. When that happened to me a while back i bought this little item in this old thread. I have used it numerous times since and am way ahead money wise on what it has done for me.
Treelimber,
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=25883

Thanks for the info Cut4fun. It looks like something I should look into. How is the cut on it? Does the tree seal up well?

Its a bear sometimes throwing the weighted end up and over the right limb sometimes. But it has its place just like anything in the tool shed. I still get some peel on the lower side, but heals fine with time. It works and gives the desperate homeowner another option and Just like anything you get better at the more you use it and figure out the tricks of use.
The one I have is 3/8LP chain with bi-directional cutters. There is bigger models out there.

If you do decide to climb this tree and prune it with a ladder,please have someone video it and post it on here......If you are going up into a tree,there is no such thing as "Bargain" equipment.This should have been posted in the Comercial tree care and climbing forum...Ladders and chainsaws do not mix.If you do not have the equipment necessary to climb that tree and tie yourself off,then I would hire someone to do it.

Evin,
What size limbs are you pruning? I have a cheap 13" pruning saw from HD that I use around the house. You'd be suprised how fast it will cut through limbs. Matter of fact I just used it last weekend to cut down 3 overgrown ligustrum trees (approx 3-4" diameter trunks). It went through them no sweat! And a Silky would be even faster.

Also if you are running a saw in the tree you need to be tied in.

Right on! That $20 Coronna hand saw is EXACTLY what you need. I keep one in the saw box, gave 'em as gifts last year, and they're the perfect solution for what you're looking to do.

24' up, chainsaw, ladder, .........sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Call an arborist, it will be cheaper than the hospital bill.

Ed
Come on guys this is a arborist site, he's asking how to do it, hopefully safely.
Ah, I need some firewood cut, I guess I'll just go buy it :givebeer: as I probably haven't had enough yet tonight & I plan on having lots more:mad:

Last edited:
There is no reason a silky hand saw will not cut through an 8" limb. Not a big fan of working from a ladder, but if you must you really should be tied in to the tree. Many of the silky saws will do the job much safer than a chain saw.
be careful.

Call for help

These fella's are right; if youo can't do it with a hand saw, you really ought to call this friend of yours. There's no replacement for experience. If you're already thinking of the $15 copay for Kaiser STOP!!! Get some experienced help.

Good luck with the ladder gig. Get pictures so you can turn them in with your insurance claim.

Sorry... but I ain't gonna sugar coat it... using a 24' ladder and runnin' a saw up there just ain't smart. You can describe to me how safe you are and blah, blah, blah... but I ain't listenin'.:bang:

Seen enough ladder/saw accidents in my day. Watched a neighbor damn near lose an arm usin' a saw on a 6 foot ladder. First time I ever had to use a tourniquet. Good luck... you're gonna need it.:help:

Gary

Come on guys this is a arborist site, he's asking how to do it, hopefully safely.
Ah, I need some firewood cut, I guess I'll just go buy it :givebeer: as I probably haven't had enough yet tonight & I plan on having lots more:mad:

To do it safely he must be tied in to the tree. If his feet are not on the ground and he is running a chainsaw he should be tied in. Even if you don't like the answer it is still the answer.

To do it safely he must be tied in to the tree. If his feet are not on the ground and he is running a chainsaw he should be tied in. Even if you don't like the answer it is still the answer.

OK I went back through & re read every post on this thread, some advice was good & some not so good. I never implied that I didn't like the answers on the safest way for him to do this project, just that he wanted ideas on how to do it, not just go & call someone to have it done

OK I went back through & re read every post on this thread, some advice was good & some not so good. I never implied that I didn't like the answers on the safest way for him to do this project, just that he wanted ideas on how to do it, not just go & call someone to have it done

Sure, he could spend $600-800 on gear and spend some time studying The Tree Climbers Companion. Or he could pay his friend to do it and see if it was something he wanted to spend so much money on equipment for.

Sure, he could spend $600-800 on gear and spend some time studying The Tree Climbers Companion. Or he could pay his friend to do it and see if it was something he wanted to spend so much money on equipment for.

That is Probably the best answer . chainsaws and laders are not a good mix .
A pole saw might work if he can find something very stable to stand on and out of the diretion of the limbs fall. hecould also for 250 a or so reny a treacked lift I have seen them , get used to ut the get up high enough to cut the limbs safly in pieces as if hews falling the tress . the look like spider lifts have out ridres and are tow able . if he hasa trailer he isall set ok it is more expnsive they are intenred for tree workand oter palces where a bucket truck is either unwantesd they are to big and leave a mess on lawns . orgethis climbing buddy . and work with him . stay out of trees with ladders and chainsaws orvandy saw .
i have no ides ifa 13 ft step laddde andaa pole saw would work as he could stay fairly stavel and also out of the way of falling branches .

ther was oncea devicve that you tthreew over a limb and it hada small chain saw like cutting pices in itamybe a foot long I have not seen them in a while . but isuoppse it copuld be rigged with some good rope and a something very strong wuiith a few pounds of sand in it . a used chain you do not need cbreqck it and go from there . thoug hi think you can still buy them .

when cutting start at the small end of the branchand work back to the large end of it

Evin,
Why don't you post a picture of these trees and the limbs that need pruned. Someone can give you a ballpark estimate, and you can decide what the use of all your body parts is worth then make an educated decision. Let's face it, professional arborists do this every day for a living and still get hurt. Feel free to browse this part of the forum while making your decision.

Hey?????

attachment.php

Yall ever notice,,,,, when someone even mentions anything about a drink,,,,

Everybody gets THIRSTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Back