One Handed Saw Operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea I use it often also just a little addition I got from my mentor. Cut it with a chain saw with two hands till it almost breaks. Stow the saw pull out hand saw and finish one handed with the hand saw. A little slower but safe.
Jared

Pull that on a production crew and youd be looking for a new job fast.

One handed sawing... you can't do that! It's like, like, so unsafe! Doesn't matter that you have 200 branches on a tree and you have to hold on to every one - tie on a rope, cut with two hands and lower each branch. The only time I one hand a saw while removing branches is about 90% of the time.

Snap cuts are good, just don't try this: Double Bucking :popcorn:

Great idea I use it often also just a little addition I got from my mentor. Cut it with a chain saw with two hands till it almost breaks. Stow the saw pull out hand saw and finish one handed with the hand saw. A little slower but safe.
Jared

I am with Boston Bull, on a production line crew you would be gone. Anyways, how are you going to push off overhanging conifer branches with out one handing? A handsaw will not cut fast enough, you have to cut with one hand on your 020 and push hard with your other hand. It would suck suck to drop a branch on the line, especially if it wasn't cut off, like that would really suck. Time and a place for it, it you don't like it, don't do it.

I could see your method on one or two trees, try and side limb 30 decent sized conifers over the line like that, in one day and all.

There is definatly a time and place for one handing but I've also seen alot of people who think that top handled saws were made for one handing.I one hand about 1/4 of the time I'm in a tree but that is because of nessicity and not ignorance.

There is definatly a time and place for one handing but I've also seen alot of people who think that top handled saws were made for one handing.I one hand about 1/4 of the time I'm in a tree but that is because of nessicity and not ignorance.

They are made for one handing, thats why the handle is on top, duh.

I one hand a top handle in the tree and bucket. But only when I feel there is little danger to it. I would never do it close to my body or if my hands are close together or worse yet if my arms are crossed across my body because of positioning.

I think alot of the injuries today are from people with little time on a saw, and NO common sense. After doing the work fro some time you begin to undersatnd what should, shouldnt, and DEFINATELY should NOT be done.

You CANT teach common sense!
I agree with you accept the teach factor just hit them harder
and they learn, better than the alternative :laugh:

Last edited:
I am with Boston Bull, on a production line crew you would be gone. Anyways, how are you going to push off overhanging conifer branches with out one handing? A handsaw will not cut fast enough, you have to cut with one hand on your 020 and push hard with your other hand. It would suck suck to drop a branch on the line, especially if it wasn't cut off, like that would really suck. Time and a place for it, it you don't like it, don't do it.

I could see your method on one or two trees, try and side limb 30 decent sized conifers over the line like that, in one day and all.

Actually a more dangerous senerio is if it cut off and your saw is still
touching the limb you complete the circuit limb still attached the tree will
take the brunt and as long as you practice staying out of the path of least
resistance you most likely would be ok!

Wow, I thought everyone who used a top handle saw in a tree to trim, often use one hand. I am often in positions where I have to use either hand to make a cut on a branch that I wouldn't be able to reach useing two hands. Of course this is only on smaller trimming cuts. On even smaller cuts I use my loppers or hand saw. I am surprise this is even a controversy.

Your suprised that theres contoversy over one handing a chainsaw?Theres people that will tell you never to do it and theres people that say thats why they have a top handle to one hand all the time.Me personally only when I have to but since I burnt my 141 up I've been climbing with a 51 and that is really hard to one hand trust me.

Two points I like so far..

If You have to "one hand" keep the RPMs down.

and Stay away from the tip of the bar.

Keep Safe.........

Night Owle....

i'll happily go with the tip of the bar part, but ive always been taught, run the saw flat out or not at all. running the saw slowly is the one surefire way to get kickback, the cutters grab instead of cutting, and all of a sudden the saw is out of your control. and ive seen it proven too.

it's one thing i suppose saying if you do slip then slower rpm means less chance of injury (if wearing appropriate gloves with rear hand protection like i do) but if there's a chance of the saw slipping and going towards your other hand or body part, it should never have been operated in one hand in the first place imo. sorry, but thats how i feel

i'll stick to cutting flat out i think. i've ever such an attractive face (i wish)

jim :)

Last edited:
Those of us that make our living cutting and not teaching do not agree.
That says it all, as far as I'm concerned. I've got pics of the guys who teach this for a well known organization doing exactly the opposite while on the job.

I was talking to a buddy who's at Davey. Get caught one handing = 2 days suspension.
These guys are going to be doing a few trees near where I live - I'll get some pics. This may be Davey's official position, but if they enforced it, every crew they run would be shut down.

I used a top handle saw for a week and it didn't take, it felt unsafe to me, but that's probably just because I'm not use to it.

I was talking to a buddy who's at Davey.

Get caught one handing = 2 days suspension.

Yes this is true!! however for production sake & those wonderful firm bid jobs if your behind its whatever is neccessary to get the desired footage, even if it means a few rules get broken!! been there!!the big shots dont like it, but the GF`s know what it takes to get the job done(most anyway).

LXT...........

Like others have posted I 1 hand when I have to. Anytime I make a cut in the tree or on the ground for that matter I always think before I cut and assess potential kickback situations and pinch situations. It just boils down to using common sense before making a cut. It's like chess, you have to think three moves ahead in this business.

I've got a young climber working for me that I just started out about a month ago. He is fearless in a tree and is a very agile climber. However, I have only let him use a chainsaw in a tree twice. Both times I had him at eye level, could watch him and tell him every move to make (I'd never forgive myself if he got hurt bad). I bought a Silky hand saw just for him to use and that is what he has been working with for a month. He still cut his finger with the dern thing yesterday, nasty cut too. I've only let him use the spikes about 4 times. I want him to learn how to work off a rope and not become too dependent on the gaffs.

He still cut his finger with the dern thing yesterday, nasty cut too.

I did it again yesterday too, I was hanging sideways and it slipped out of the scabbard as I was roping something in the high winds. It does not take much.

Good for you, making the guy learn like that.

one handing is stupid

My company forbids it and I agree with them. By using a combination of the right tools and the willingness to get into the right position, one can mitigate any need to one hand a saw. If your stretching too far from the cut, get closer. If you need to catch a piece, use a loop runner or other type of rigging device. Once you become a good climber there is never a need to one hand.

I was talking to a buddy who's at Davey.

Get caught one handing = 2 days suspension.

Davey res. or Davey utility? I bet res. Suspended one handing?? See ya Davey, thanks for the job, make up my final cheque.

marlinspiker for one welcome to arboristsite and second are you saying your a cherry to climbing?If you never evr onehanded a chain saw then you must still be a groundie because sooner or later we all do it just be careful when you do it and you will be fine.

Back