One Handed Saw Operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come to think of it, all my chainsaw scars have come from accidents on the ground. Another good reason to give your groundmen as much or more training than your climbers. All my in tree scars come from the old 22" or new Silky saws.

I see people here are from all over, I think the techniques one uses has a lot to do with the type of trees one is cutting and the situations one is cutting under. On average I cut 600-1000+ branches a day (for real - hemlock, cedar, fir) what am I going to do - get into what position? Please tell me. I have 20 years experience, no WCB or insurance claims (not one) and no answer. Rope every branch down, ya right.

I see people here are from all over, I think the techniques one uses has a lot to do with the type of trees one is cutting and the situations one is cutting under. On average I cut 600-1000+ branches a day (for real - hemlock, cedar, fir) what am I going to do - get into what position? Please tell me. I have 20 years experience, no WCB or insurance claims (not one) and no answer. Rope every branch down, ya right.

20 years, no accidents, regularly one hands.

Sounds like a pro who takes care to control his saw properly regardless of how many hands is holding it.

Thanks for the input.

I think this thread pretty much debunks the stance that top handle saws are not meant to be one handed.

Yes, we can all agree that better control is realized with two hands depending on the work position. I think we all agree that extra care must be taken if one handing is required.

But I'd consider the professional consensus does not agree with the preachers on the pulpits spouting one handing is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

What I would find even more interesting is how many of the pro's always set a fixed line for all removals? I think I will start a thread on that one.

It is not practicle to always use two hands on a climbing saw, anyone with any degree of expeirience knows this. I one hand with respect and undivided attention. Even one handed 025's on occasion. Got to do what it takes to get the job done. Buckets, poles, arms and bars are never long enough sometimes

one handing chainsaws

I one hand my ms200/020 with care. I do try most the time to use two hands, but you guys know how it goes. I don't know for certain, but don't top handled saws seem balanced almost perfect for one handing as if they were desighned for that in mind? Top handled saws don't seem to me to provide a very ergonomic feel for ground work. I wont use mine on the ground. I guess thats why they call them trim saws/ top handled saws for use up in the tree. I'm tired of hypocrites that say you must always make every cut with two hands, and then you see them months or days latter in the field swinging it around one handed like its a magic wand. I know based on experience two hands can always be used, but who wants to lower all those 3 plus inch diameter branches that don't even have enough weight to make it down a lowering line.

If you use two hands then you cant flip pieces or redirect them. All the great tree surgeons I have seen in action always one hand the saw and use the other hand to manipulate the branch or wood section for a smooth damage free landing.

Training!

Training! The key word. Employers have to develop an EDP (employee development program). Too much time is spent on just getting the job done. Very little time is spent on properly training employees. The company I work for has safety meetings weekly and quarterly training seminars. They prove to pay off in the long run. Also, it is ANSI regulation to operate a chainsaw with two hands while it is in operation

Last edited:
Back