One horespower wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all about marginal cost if you already own the horse :D

From the stuff I've read over the years, a team that size is probably running them around $6-8 per day at today's prices (that's horses, harnesses, vets, shoeing, and food). Add another few dollars if you're buying all your hay and feed...but I'm not sure what you'd be doing with draft horses if you don't own a farm to work them on.

Figure six hour work day for horses, but you got two there you switch off every half hour or so. Pretty sure even a Super Splitter which sips gas will burn over $6 in gas today in 6-8 hours of work.

Having steady winter work for them costs you more in oats, but you save time in spring by not having to exercise them back into working condition.

Of course unlike gas engines you still have to spend 15-20 minutes each day to feed and water the team most days even if they're not working, and you can't have marathon 14 hours of solid work on summer days.

It's all about marginal cost if you already own the horse :D

From the stuff I've read over the years, a team that size is probably running them around $6-8 per day at today's prices (that's horses, harnesses, vets, shoeing, and food). Add another few dollars if you're buying all your hay and feed...but I'm not sure what you'd be doing with draft horses if you don't own a farm to work them on.

Figure six hour work day for horses, but you got two there you switch off every half hour or so. Pretty sure even a Super Splitter which sips gas will burn over $6 in gas today in 6-8 hours of work.

Having steady winter work for them costs you more in oats, but you save time in spring by not having to exercise them back into working condition.

Of course unlike gas engines you still have to spend 15-20 minutes each day to feed and water the team most days even if they're not working, and you can't have marathon 14 hours of solid work on summer days.

Yep, produce all your fuel onsite, plus grow your own replacement engines.

the next big thing

I could make a million dollars selling this idea to you guys....smaller treadmill and put the wife on it!?! I already have her here, I'll save on the gym membership, and she'll see just how much effort it takes to make firewood. It's a win for everyone I'm sure. Now to go let her in on my solution. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Saw this in the WTF Thread:

Treadmill-for-dogs_raw.gif

And thought to myself they need to hookup an engine-less super split to that :D

I could make a million dollars selling this idea to you guys....smaller treadmill and put the wife on it!?! I already have her here, I'll save on the gym membership, and she'll see just how much effort it takes to make firewood. It's a win for everyone I'm sure. Now to go let her in on my solution. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I'm thinking that horse generates a lot more torque than...oh, never mind... ;o)

Latest posts

Back